Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16 bit is commin back in style
QBers rejoice, and console game buyers rejoice, 16 Bit is back in style (at least in new england). I went to the store to buy a gift for my lil bro today. it was a little toy that you could plug into you tv and play 4 of the old classic namco arcade games in. and wouldn't you know it, they were sold out. infact, they were sold out of all the things like that. but they had tons of console games in stock. so I asked, can I just reserve one then? He told me that there was a waiting list for the reserves, a waiting list of over 400 people! Too bad, I was really lookin forward to schoolin my lil bro in pacman. So now all we have to do is gather up all the arcade game remakes in QB and stick them in a little toy that plugs into your TV. Then we'll all be rich! Big Grin
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
I read an article about that in a magazine... the GameBoy is leading the charge in terms of 16 bit sound Smile
Quote:the GameBoy is leading the charge in terms of 16 bit sound Smile

The Gameboy is an 8 bits console (Z80 inside) :roll: :wink:...
Those Namco games are 8 bits as well...

Tongue
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
to be honest, i didn't know what the hell I was saying with "16 bit". I just thought that 16 bits were outdated graphics and would fit the topic.
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
My fingers slipped

Tongue

That's what I meant :lol:
yeah everyone i know who has a playstation or ps2 (which would be my mom and her family, and separately, my dad and us) has that Namco Museum. my lil bro and sis at my moms house used to play one game ALL THE TIME on that hting. they were 8 and 10 when that was going on (a year ago) and the game was something with these 2 little characters with funky hair, and it looked like a prebomberman sort of game, but instead of bombs, you shoot tanks and cars (everything's around 8x8 pixels, the main chars, the badguys, the bricks you can shoot). it sucked so badly that game.

anyways Twisted Metal 2 was one of the best games ive ever played for PS1. also Destruction Derby 2. Those kicked ass. especiallyt when iwas playing with/against them in TM2.
earn.
Quote:to be honest, i didn't know what the hell I was saying with "16 bit". I just thought that 16 bits were outdated graphics and would fit the topic.

That's funny: QB is a 16 bits compiler Big Grin

FYI:

16 bits consoles are Superfamicom (SNES), Genesis (Megadrive), Turbographx (PC engine) and Neo Geo, to name the most famous. Arcade systems such as Capcom's CPS1 and CPS2 are 16 bits based, as well.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
That's "TurboGrafx", nathan Wink lol

Also it's difficult to really categorize the Neo Geo...some people insist it was a 24 bit machine due to it having two processors: a 68000 and a Z80 I do believe. Although I think, but am not totally sure, that the Z80 controlled the sound. I should probably look that up, eh? Big Grin

Seph, Twisted Metal 3 was better. Tongue Well, IMO anyways. They're all good though. I personally think that the team behind 3 and 4 produced a better game engine which made it more fun to play (4 was kinda weird though, 3 is the best IMO). I actually liked 2 the least...I still have a copy of 1 laying around somewhere (no PSX at the moment and I've yet to get a PSX emu working on any of these puters coz they're all too chinsey to run any).

Another good game on the PSX was THQ's Smackdown 2 game. Yeah I like wrasslin' games. Big Grin A few good RGs too, like Parasite Eve and Xenogears (both by Squaresoft before they started sucking). I think though that the majority of PSX games sucked...but there were just so freakin many of them!

By the way...the TurboGrafx, for all who don't know, had an 8 bit processor. It was a modified 6502 called a Hu6280 which had special circuitry to handle more memory access modes...it also had a much higher clock rate (it ran at 7.16MHz). It was considered 16 bit machine because the PPU data bus was 16 bits wide, as opposed to the NES which was a mere 8 bits wide. The Genesis had a 68000 at 7.6MHz, and the Sega CD unit had a faster 68000 processor at 12.something MHz. The SNES had a 65816 processor at 3.56MHz (this is a special processor which works like a 6502 with a 16 bit layer, kinda like the Athlon 64 is an x86 with a 64 bit layer).

Yeah...I know my antique console hardware pretty well. Tongue I code on most of these old machines. Big Grin
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
yeah, the neo's main processing was controlled by the 68000, with a 6mhz z80 auxillary, and a 4mhz z80 for sound. I had a very brief programming venture to program for it a while back and then backed off.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
TM1 was the worst next to 4 in my book. 4 was just too damn cheesy for me with the whole Rob Zombie theme. also, the gfx and handling sucked for it. 3 was okay. i could tolerate it easier than 4 and 1. 2 was my favourite before Black came out. then it became a tie, since they arent comparable. theyre both good for different reasons. 2 was more of a classic, whereas Black is quite the opposite. i havent yet played Small Brawl, but i have this feeling its made by 989 also, and was probably a lot like 4. Sad
earn.