Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UNIX question
I recently (for fun) installed phpBB on my server. I decided to delete it after I was finished. But there's hundreds of files and subdirectories...and using my FTP program connecting to the UNIX server, I made an unpleasant discovery: I can't delete directories that aren't empty.
Is there anything I can do that will save me the trouble of searching through the dir struct deleting hundreds of files, painstakingly, one dir at a time?
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
If your FTP program doesn't suck, it should recurse the directories and automatically delete all nested directories and files for you....try SmartFTP if your FTP program sucks...
I'm using WS_FTP. I'll try some different clients.
Melikes gFTP, but that's for linux...

I haven't found the "delete all contents and directories" in WS_FTP either...
Yo plasma... mayhaps you have an "alert-disabler" ;D for SmartFTP? I've been using it a while and I'm getting annoyed at the "Register Me" message.

RightFTP is a decent piece of work also.
ammit potato!
Of course.
SmartFTP! Excellent! Nice piece of work, as potato would say.
Thanks.
If you have telnet access you can use the following (it may work with some ftp programs aswell):
Code:
$ rm -Rf directory

The R is for recursive and the f stands for force, just be careful with it because it wont ask questions before deleting everything.
esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
Thanks.
Actually, they advertise telnet access with my hosting plan. But I have no idea how to get to it. :???:
Quote:Thanks.
Actually, they advertise telnet access with my hosting plan. But I have no idea how to get to it. :???:

Download puttytel, its a good telnet/SSH client program. You can get it at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtat...nload.html.