Poll: On the new Geekery, do you think:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Users should be able to upload their files
100.00%
10 100.00%
Users should only be allowed to add links to their files
0%
0 0%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uploads
I've been wondering.
There are pros and cons to allowing people to upload:
Pro:
Not everybody has a webhost, so you can just upload your file, without worrying about hotlinking.
Con:
Spammers could come and crash/fill up my server with junk.
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
how are you going to monitor the uploading?
Something to add to your cons (main reason why rpg-dev.net doesn't allow uploads as well):
Bandwidth usage

If you do decide to allow uploads I think it will require some dedication on your part to check any new uploads to see if they're junk or anything and to keep the whole thing clean. A great helping tool with this is to create a logging system for your site. For example... on rpg-dev.net pretty much everything is logged. From the username, IP address, time/date, and the action performed be it adding a project, editing a project, deleting a project, trying to view an invalid project, trying to access the site administration, invalid parameters being passed to a script, etc. Why would this help you? Well you could (at a bare minimum) log when a user adds/edits/deletes an upload. This way when you do your daily (:lolSmile monitoring of your user uploads you know exactly what has been added/modifed making finding the junk uploads easier.
They would upload, and then it would appear on the Downloads page. Every once in a while I'd go and look through the downloads, make sure no junk is there.
or you could have a password for the upload so only "trusted"
persons could upload...
/post]
"Trusted" people? I suppose...But what stops someone who I think I trust from accidentaly spilling the password?
Although it's a good suggestion, red_marvin. Thanks. Smile
If you have a forum or something you might perhaps make it
"members only" Smile

And of course: trusted people would not share the password Tongue :wink:
/post]
Depending how many people you get registering, after a few posts in your forum, you could manually decide who is trusted. Or, PhpBB 2.0 has a "Karma" level mod. This would be excellent for deciding who should be trusted, ie if their karma is above X%, then they are permitted to upload. If their karma is below X%, then their access to upload is restricted.

Just an idea, anyway...
Dark: It's a good suggestion, but one problem: The forum is a non-registering one. It's not for chatting - it's for announcments/small questions/comments.
Although I think I might have solved the problem: I'm going to allow "User Files", which people submit the URLs to their files, and they get put in a seperate section from the files that I add. That way I can just say something like...
"Here are the files that our users submitted. I can't guarantee they all work or anything, and I take *ablsolutely* no responsibility for anything that you download here. The files are not hosted at The Geekery, so to download the files, please right-click on the links, and choose "Save as" or "Save Target As", depending on your browser."
Sound good?
Sounds ok, but make it filter f.ex. htm(l) files so "bad" people
won't start linking to p0rn sites or such...
...or filter the whole url and search for special words...
/post]