Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions...
1.) I'm learning QBasic, and im using QB4.5, is http://chortle.ccsu.ctstateu.edu/cs113/cs113basic.html a good site to learn from? It seems pretty good for me, im already done with loops.

2.) Whats VBDOS Standard and Pro?

3.) How long will it take me to learn all of QB and where should I go after i'm done learning from that site?

4.) Will QB make AP Computer Science easy? *They use Java*

5.) Does VB6.0 have QB syntax in it?

6.) What can C++ and Java do better then QBasic since there OPP, and what does object oriented programming really mean in simple terms?

7.) Whats the hardest part to learn from QB? Arrays?
1) most beginners tutorials are going to be similar. I'm sure yours is fine.

2) VBDOS is, uh, I don't really see the point in using it, personally, but other people do. If you're going to learn DOS programming, I'd just stick with QB.

3) Thats a hard question to answer. You could learn every QB function, keyword, and operator in two weeks and that still doesn't mean you're any good at stringing them together to make something that can actually be considered good. The B in QBasic stands for Beginner, so you're going to find it much easier to learn that any other language, probably.

4) Easy? No. Apart from some general programming principles, java and QB have nearly nothing in common. It may, however, reduce the time it takes to get used to the new language, as you'll be more familiar with programming practices like looping and whatnot.

5) They are similar but not 100% compatible. A QB expert who has never so much as seen VB code in his life should be able to read and understand most VB programs, Especially if he/she has also used other languages apart from QB.

7) Depends on what your goals are. If you plan on writing games like most of us losers, you'll probably find that 3D math or shading or texture mapping may be the hardest thing to learn...but maybe you want to write a databaser or something, who knows. Of The things addressed in your tutorial at http://chortle.ccsu.ctstateu.edu/cs113/cs113basic.html, I should think if you spend adequate time on each chapter, by the time you get to arrays you should have no trouble whatsoever with them.

Joining a group like this is a good start. Keep hanging out and asking questions, eventually sometime next week you'll be as intelligent and established as Agamemnus himself.
1) That looks fine
2) Not sure what the difference is, but they're just fast QB compilers, which include a do-it-yourself GUI type tool.
3) It's impossible to do learn all of any language. Smile Once you have a good understanding, though, do C and assembly. Tongue
4) If you don't have any programming expirience yet, it will indeed. But you should learn java if that's what they want.
5) Yes it does.
6) You don't need OOP to do anything. It can be useful, but it's not required. In OOP, basically you have TYPEs (have you learned about those yet?), but they have functions to deal with the type variable members.
7) Arrays aren't hard at all. Tongue Probably the hardest thing you'll ever run into are prorgramming concepts, not aspects of a certain programming language. I mean, I don't understand scrolling. But don't listen to me...I suck at coding. Tongue
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Forget about programming if you want to learn QB to learn Java to program professionally.

Java sucks. ™
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
great advice, aga.

:roll:
Will, I like QBasic since it's really easy. I use to know some C++ but it had difficult syntax compared to QB. I just want to learn the basic concepts of Programming, and then maybe go into 3d Math with QBasic. So when CS comes around I will have no problem with understanding the material.
Quote:7.) Whats the hardest part to learn from QB? Arrays?

sorry, but...lololololololollll

It's funny....anyone would write that the "hardest" thing to learn was the thing that he *almost* got, but was not quite there...

Here's my advice...pick any language you want, but preferablly one that gives access to some form of graphics (this so you can "see" math)...and learn what you can...then pick a new language and do the same...you will see that programming is a state of mind, and the language doesn't really matter.

mango...

Here's a nine liner from a while back...
Code:
1 IF g = 0 THEN SCREEN 12 ELSE rot = rot + .1
2 rot2 = rot2 + .1 + .2 * p
3 FOR g = -8 TO 8
4 IF rot2 > 25.1 OR rot2 < 0 THEN p = NOT p ELSE CIRCLE ((320 + 10 * rot2 * SIN(1 * rot)) + ((9 - ABS(g)) * SGN(g) * 6) * SIN(rot), (350 + 10 * SIN(1 * rot)) + (((9 - ABS(g)) * SGN(g) * 2) + 4) * SIN(rot)), 9 - ABS(g), ABS(14 - 4 * ABS(g))
5 CIRCLE ((160) + ((9 - ABS(g)) * SGN(g) * 10) * COS(rot), (400 + -30 * SIN(1 * rot)) + (((9 - ABS(g)) * SGN(g) * 2) + 4) * SIN(rot)), 9 - ABS(g), 1 + ABS(g)
6 CIRCLE ((480) + ((9 - ABS(g)) * SGN(g) * 10) * COS(rot), (400 + 30 * SIN(1 * rot)) + (((9 - ABS(g)) * SGN(g) * 2) + 4) * SIN(rot)), 9 - ABS(g), 1 + ABS(g)
7 NEXT g
8 PRINT
9 IF INKEY$ = "" THEN GOTO 1 ELSE END

Programming requires a special state of mind...where you visualize what you want the computer to do, then think of a way to make it happen...just ask relsoft...he's the master of this way of thinking...but it takes more than desire...it takes understanding of what underlies the program...it's a zen art... ;-)
that's some killer 9 line code.

learing qb has helped me learn other languages, sadly not spanish. if you learn C/C++ then you learn about all the other languages out there. yes, programing is more of art than code...well you know it's how you express thought and action through the keyboard to the compiler.
Quote:4.) Will QB make AP Computer Science easy? *They use Java*

It will, to an extent. Programming in any language will help to build up a general knowledge of the logic behind programming, and will increase your ability to understand logic more effeciently. Qb may not be related to Java in any way, but the logic learnt will help you to program in Java.
Quote:Forget about programming if you want to learn QB to learn Java to program professionally.

Java sucks. ™

Hmm...there are still a few good people left who agree with me on Java =P. IT SUCKS BIG TIME!!!

Anyway here are a few questions i'd like to answer:

2. The difference between VBDOS Standard has fewer features than the Pro version.

3. That depends on how much time/effort you put in learning the language.

4. Yes QB will make it easier. But you should know QB and Java are quite different languages. Their principles/syntaxes are no way similar. But QB will develop your programming skills. You will be able to think in a more logical way and you will be able to get the hang of developing programs. Once you have gotten that, learning any language is just a matter of knowing the syntax and the extra/additional features of that language.

5. Yes you are right. VB 6.0 has syntax closely resembling that of QB. But it has OOP features of Java/C++

6. There is nothing hard about learning QB. You will be fine once you get the hang of it =P.