Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 2000 and Games
Long story short...Building a new system and my XP CD is bad. So how does Windows 2000 do as a gaming platform?

Thanks!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. "
Quote:Long story short...Building a new system and my XP CD is bad. So how does Windows 2000 do as a gaming platform?

Thanks!

It does fine for modern games, but games released before 1999 may have problems (Legacy of Cain and Tomb Raider II come to mind Sad)
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Anything that works with XP should work with 2000. Games, at least.
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Quote:Anything that works with XP should work with 2000. Games, at least.

Not true. 2000 is pure NT, it was not intended for gaming, so many games didn't not work when it came out. The issue was solved with Windows XP, which was intended for general use.

Windows 2000 SP1 isn't able to play almost any games. With SP1 many older games just don't work. For example you have to download patches for the two aforementioned games to avoid them performing some actions that were allowed in Windows 9X but not on NTs.

My advice is that you install Windows 2000, then go to microsoft.com and spend a night downloading the service packs. I have Windows 2000 SP4 with DirectX 9 in my 500Mhz computer and it runs like silk.
I stand corrected. Smile
Pardon me. But if you want to build a gaming machine then you will be better off running Win98/ME. And as nath said 2000 with service packs will do the trick.
You can't install a 2000 SP on a 9X/ME OS!

I'd leave 9X/ME systems to die as they should if you are not gonna use MSDOS stuff. It is the *only* thing that prevents me for deleting my 9X partition. For win32 programs, the later your OS is the better.
98 or XP. Plain and simple. Big Grin 2000 takes too much twiddling with, and ME is too much of a pig (and again, takes too much twiddling with).

oi...VB class is sooooooooooooo boring...
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
Quote:Pardon me. But if you want to build a gaming machine then you will be better off running Win98/ME. And as nath said 2000 with service packs will do the trick.
Okay, lets see. Will Doom III play on Win 98? What about pretty much *all* the latest games?
I have *absolutely* no problems running games on Win2000 so far... Smile