Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Novix 2.5.0.3 Soon to be released, need testers!
Novix is a fake OS written in QB, see url for more details.

Go to http://www.Novix.tk for a download, please give feedback.

This release feautures the built in command prompt and editor only.

Put the exe in any folder and run it, it creates all necsesarry directories.

Type help at the command prompt to get started.
Wow, that's the only linux-like qb fake os I've ever seen. I'm surprised by how functional it is. You can create and delete files and directories as well as browse the filesystem.

What really interests me is it's (planned but not implemented yet?) scripting support. I tried to test it by creating a script using the syntax reference on your site, and then running it, but I got "File execution not implemented yet...". Is typing a script's name the wrong way to run a script? Is it binaries, scripts, or both that aren't supported?

Also, "cat source target" prints an error message if either file doesn't exist, meaning there's no way to copy or move files, short of creating an empty file using edit for cat to overwrite.

Technically NVXFS's not really a file system. If everything, files and directories etc, is stored in a single file, then you could call it a file system.

Overall I'd say Novix is one of the most consistantly functional and usable qb fake os ever made. Very nice work.
That's pretty cool, Z!re. Good work.

- Dav
I take it the reason why it doesnt work on my system is that it doesnt support NTFS?

Otherwise, its very good. functional and everything. Smile
Great work dude.

dark, whats the prob you're having? Novix doesnt require NTFS. It has its own 'filesystem' =P.
Quote:What really interests me is it's (planned but not implemented yet?) scripting support. I tried to test it by creating a script using the syntax reference on your site, and then running it, but I got "File execution not implemented yet...". Is typing a script's name the wrong way to run a script? Is it binaries, scripts, or both that aren't supported?
Typing a scripts name is the correct way of running it, but like it says, the run part isn't implemented yet, well, it is, but I found a nasty bug that overwrote the file when giving certain parameters, and I simply did not have time to fix it before the release.

If you look in the editor you see a greyed out Compile option, Novix can run both compiled (multitasked) and uncompiled (not multitasked) NS50 files. (This is disabled in the BETA though)

Anout the NS50 Syntax, what do you think about it?
Is it too hard?
I made everything single line on purpose, IE:
You can't do: %let a,5*7+3
instead you go:
%let a,5
%mul a,7
%add 3,a

What do you think?

Quote:Also, "cat source target" prints an error message if either file doesn't exist, meaning there's no way to copy or move files, short of creating an empty file using edit for cat to overwrite.
cat file1 > file2 (copies file1 to file2, overwriting file2 if it exist, otherwise it creates it)

cat file1 file2 > file3 (copies file1 and file2 to file3)

cat file1 > file2 "file 3" (copies file1 into file2 and "file 3")

There is no limit on the number of files in front or after the >

cat without > displays the content of the file on screen

so when you type:
cat source target
it tries to display the content of source and target on screen, use the redirect symbol > to copy:
cat source > target

Quote:Technically NVXFS's not really a file system. If everything, files and directories etc, is stored in a single file, then you could call it a file system.
I know, but making it a single file was too slow, I have to work out a better search algo before making it a real FAT (but rest assured that it will become a single file fat)

Did you try using paths?

cd Novix/system
or
cat "Novix/system/the file" (a space containing name should be enclosed in quotes, not really needed in this example, but it's good practice)

All commands and programs in Novix support paths
Although the Editor shows some bugs when using: edit path/file

Quote:That's pretty cool, Z!re. Good work.

Quote:I take it the reason why it doesnt work on my system is that it doesnt support NTFS?
Well, so far Novix still depends a lot on DOS (it is QB you know) so, no, it does not support NTFS Cry
Quote:Great work dude.

dark, whats the prob you're having? Novix doesnt require NTFS. It has its own 'filesystem' =P.
Read on the site, it requires FAT16/32, I never claimed anything else :wink:
Dude you quoted the wrong guy ( I think :roll: )
Uhh,, well what i was meaning was... isnt there a problem where DOS cant read NTFS or something.... any way nvm.

The problem Im having is that I cant use any of the file commands. I cant get any of them to work, and ive tried them in all sorts of diffreent ways. Fore example, I cant get the CAT command to work. It continually says "File not found" even when im specifing a file that clearly exists. I though... oh wait, isnt there some problem with DOS and NTFS or something?...
You cant use:
cat c:\my folder\my file.txt

Novix can only handle NVXFS files..

Type ls to list the files and directories in Novix

Use edit to create a file and md to create a directory.

But I really don't know of Novix works on a NTFS partition :wink:
Anyone care to test?

Novix is a DOS prog so it seems unliekly it should work on NTFS