Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A DOS question...
I have Windows XP and i want to go into dos, to load qbasic stuff like libs, but all i have is a thing called command prompt. I need to know how to get into dos... if i can in Win XP. I'll be thankful for the help Big Grin .
Windows XP is not built on top of DOS like most other Windows versions. It's a form of NT, and has its own native kernel. It can run DOS through its virtual machine though, so you'll probably be fine with regular old Command Prompt. Smile
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
I've tried useing command prompt to load qbasic but it says it's a bad commande or something like that (i'm trying to load it to use midi type libs to put midi files in the qbasic prog.).

BTW I'm typeing "qbasic" into it and "qbasic.exe"...
Is qbasic.exe in your current directory?
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
I tried something else a few secs ago... i put the path which it was in (C: Program Files\...other folders....\Qbasic.exe). When i put it in it didn't do anything... but this time it didn't give me a error like bad commande...
Do this:

Right-Click "my PC", select "properties".

Select the "Advanced" tab.

Click on the "Environment Variables" button or something like that (I have a Spanish Windows)

Locate the "path" variable in the lower list box. Click on "Modify" (or whatever it is called in english).

In the lower text box append an ";" and between quotes " add the complete path to your QBASIC.EXE file ("c:\Program Files\Whatever\"). Note: add the path, I mean, don't include "QBASIC.EXE" Smile

That will make your QBASIC.EXE file accesible from any directory.

This is the equivalent to change the PATH line in Windows9X's/MSDOS AUTOEXEC.BAT file.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Thx for all your help. I type in qbasic into command prompt and it didn't give me any crap about bad commands Big Grin . Thx again adosorken and na_th_an Big Grin .
If you have a shortcut for QBasic, you can add a ? to the end and it prompts you for parameters to pass to the program.

e.g.
If your shortcut properties, cmd line: reads
"c:\qb45\qb.exe"
add a ? to it so it reads
"c:\qb45\qb.exe" ?

Smile HTH
This works with all DOS programs run under Win '95,'98, XP. (It might work with other windows too, I've never tried)
url=http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=60131&t=79][Image: safer.gif][/url]
END OF LINE.
Quote:Thx for all your help. I type in qbasic into command prompt and it didn't give me any crap about bad commands Big Grin . Thx again adosorken and na_th_an Big Grin .

You might want to try this:

1. Click start button

2. Click on RUN

3. Type "cmd.exe"

4. Hit Ok

You'll have a DOS box =).