Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C/C++ or Java
Which language is better? I know some C++ but no Java. I hear that Java is the fastest programming language and they dropped C++ and switched to Java in A.P. Computer Science.
Hahahahah! Java, the fastest programming language! That really cracks me up.
You have it the other way around...C++ and C are the (AFAIK) fastest languages, aside from Assembly.
Learn C. Not Java. Unless you're trying to get a job.
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Both are extremely dependant on their environment and compiler.
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
Okay, Nek, name one C/C++ compiler that runs slower than any Java VM.
On a 386DX.
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Hehe, C/C++ is always a better choice. Theres nothing that you can do with Java that you cant do with C++ =P. Infact there are programs which you can only write in C++ but not in Java =P.
Define "fast". BASIC is faster than C. How? In development time. I can whip out a program in any form of BASIC in about a third of the time it takes me to write the same program in any form of C. In the same respect, Java might be faster than C++ in terms of development time. Thus, saying that Java is faster than C++ would be very accurate. Note that no reference to what attribute was being written, only "fast". It could mean anything. And Zack...trying to isolate a factor isn't going to prove your point. Nice try but no banana.
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
I think he is refering to program execution.
That depends on what you want to do. For example, code server-side applications. You can do JSP (Java Server Pages) which will perform great at tomcat (Apache+JSP) servers. Doing such kinds of services is 10x easier in Java than in C++, not to mention that your CGIs will work in any platform.

In cell phones the Java VM is in hardware, so if you code in C++ for them you would have to compile to Java bytecode (Java bytecode = assembly for the JVM) Tongue

Again, saying that a language is slow or fast is stupid.

And all of you who think that Java is slow, please try a real Java compiler which outputs real executables.

Btw, everything that can be done in C++ can be done in Java. Java can access externs APIs, mind you.

So if you are gonna code games, learn C++. If you are gonna code accounting applications and stuff, learn VB. If you are gonna code for the internet or for cell phones, learn Java.

If you are a geek like me learn everything Big Grin
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Yeah thats what I meant nathan. You cant code kick a$$ games in Java(for the PC) =P.
Well, nobody has done it yet, but it could be done. Just plug a real Java compiler and make use of OpenGL calls Tongue

Anyhow, I can't code a kicka$$ game neither in C++ nor in Java :lol:
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i