Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File and Pring Sharing under XP Pro
Hi all,

As some of you may remember I built an XP Pro machine (instead of Win2000) last week. I'm having an issue an I was hoping someone could shed some light.

I shared out the CD ROM drive on the XP machine but a second desktop machine, running WinME, can't find the XP machine on my network. Well...it can and it can't. If I open a DOS prompt on the ME machine and ping by name it finds the machine. But searching for a computer in Windows itself will yield nothing. If it makes a difference they are both in the same workgroup...no domain setup. Also, going the other way, the XP machine can see the shared stuff on the ME machine just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. "
I have the same issue with my dev computer, being Windows 98, and this machine, being Windows XP. The problem is a case of the filesystems. WinME, like Win98, uses FAT16 or FAT32 (depending on your level of insanity), and your Windows XP drive more than likely uses NTFS. 9x (of which ME is a variant of) cannot see NTFS partitions, even if shared. XP, of course, can see FATxx drives no problem, so it's not going to have any problem seeing your ME shares. Not a lot you can do about it either...unless you were to create a FAT32 partition on your XP drive.
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
It has nothing to do with the filesystem. The 9x machine doesn't read the NTFS volume directly, so this is not the problem.

More likely it's a network config problem. Make sure the guest account is enabled on your XP computer and your firewall is disabled. You can also try running the network setup wizard, although I've found it usually doesn't do anything helpful.
Hrm...well, that's what I was always told. And in the four years I've been doing this stuff, that's always seemed to be the reason why. We have never had problems with NT-to-NT shares, but always had zero luck with 9x-to-NT shares, and the reason's always been said to be filesystem incompatabilities.
Well whoever told you that was wrong...I've had no problem reading remote NTFS partitions with 98 machines. The network redirector takes care of all the necessary conversions.
Interesting...well, I'll try it out and then if it works, I'll buy a nice cheap plane ticket to where I used to work so I may bitchslap the idiots. Big Grin

Of course...this does not explain why NT-to-NT shares have always worked perfectly.
It's a problem I have also at my job. However, if you key in the name of the shared resource, W98 does find it.
Code:
\\The_XP_machine\c\
Then you create a shortcut to it and that's all.
No idea about why it happens...
Antoni
I found out what the problem was. Under the advanced settings TCP/IP was not checked for file and print sharing. I also run IPX, which was enabled, but it wouldn't work with that probably because the other machine is doing its looking with tcp/ip. But anyway...I enabled tcp/ip and it's working fine.

Thanks for the advice all.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. "