Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which High-Res Library do you use?
Which is the best, regarding compatibility.
Which is the best, regarding speed.

And, please, don't start a flamewar over this.
FL for compatibility.
UGL for speed.

But UGL is the better choice considering that FL isn't all that "compatible" with xp computers either.

The truth is, is you're better off using good 'ol mode 13h. And using that, a mode all computers support, UGL still wipes the floor in terms of speed.

FL is a good library, don't get me wrong. But I've never been big on hi-res qb games. For a language so old, I'm more concerned with how fun the games are, so mode 13h or modex is the ideal res for me.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
It is for implementation into Novix, so 13h for a fake OS is not an option (I hope you see why), the lowest res will be screen 12. (lower resolutions will be runned in a box)
who says so?

In that case, decide what you want. Speed or Compatibility. I'm not the judge of how you want to make your OS.

But if you ask me, there's no law saying you *have* to use a resolution > 320x200 for a gui. Hell, if you're creative, it might end up being equally good at a low res than a high res. But either way, if you want your gui to run well, you should at least include 320x200 resolution as an option.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
I use FL for usability, and compatibility. Phew, that was a mouthful.
I've personally always favored FL. I tried using UGL on many computers(many of them 9x based with highly VESA compatible SiS cards) but it kept crashing even in the debug mode. I never found out the problem with it though.

According to benchmarks its very fast if FPS matter a lot for you. But IMO if you want to design a GUI then its alright. JFYI have a look at my GUI:
www.basix.8m.net/downloads/dl.htm

Its coded in FL and uses 800x600x24 mode.
Quote:its very fast if FPS matter a lot for you. But IMO if you want to design a GUI then its alright.

I couldnt have said it better myself. FL isnt lightning, but you dont need lightning graphical speeds for an OS. UGL should definately not be an option, mate. I would defintely choose FL. It is face down the best option for your project.
Finally a believer! Big Grin

I just love FL's interface but I still would've liked to see some of UGL's features, which are 'borrowed' :roll: from allegro.
When will you all learn, its a GUI not an OS. I highly doubt you guys are writing an OS. Highly. If you do, my deepest apologies, and send it over, cause I want to see what boudaries you have pushed.
·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡~æthérFòx~¡|i¹'°¨°'¹~·-
avinash.vora - http://www.avinashv.net
Did I say "os?" Damn, whoops. Heheh, I'm always calling people on that, and there I go.

But I'd still like to see some people be creative with the whole GUI thing. It's always the same boxy interface trying to be like Windows in 640x480 or higher. Maybe a contest is in order, to make even a mockup of the most creative interface you can think of.