Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breakthrough on the legality of distributing QuickBASIC
I was recently reading the license agreement (yes, I read those sometimes :wink: ) on the case that the MASM (Microsoft Assembler)) CD came with, in a book on Assembly which I just got. I quote the agreement (read the bold text):
Quote:6. Language Software. If the software is a Microsoft language product, then you have royalty-free right to reproduce and distribute executable files created using the Software. If the language product is a Basic or COBOL product, then Microsoft grants you a royalty-free right to reproduce and distribute the run-time modules of the Software, [...]
And it goes on to say that you can't use Microsoft's name, etc...
So! There are only two quick questions now: would QuickBASIC be considered a Basic product? I certainly think so. And, it says "the runtime modules". Does that mean the compiler/intepreter/IDE?
Cool, huh? Oracle, you can tell that to the person who hosts you, so maybe he'll let ya host QB on the server now. :wink:
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Nope.

The runtime module is the file needed to run executables you haven't chosen to be compiled as pure executables. This refers to a single file, not the whole thing.
Aww...I got my hopes up for nothing. Sad
Day-am, I thought this was something. Cry
I don't think that Microsoft would really care if or how QuickBASIC 4.5 or PDS was distributed

If we wanted, we should compose a letter to Microsoft and ask them if we can possibly distribute QuickBASIC to "Help bring people to the programming community" so we say LOL It would be also cool if we could get Microsoft to release some of the source code to QB
Michael Doise
Developer of TrueTech.net and QB71.com
Apple Geek forever!
brun45.exe is the runtime module. Thats like Microsoft saying you can distribute VBRUN6.DLL for free. Teh.

It's not going to happen. A business like Micrsoft will see the existing market and sue for all the piracy done in the community. Rightly so.
·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡~æthérFòx~¡|i¹'°¨°'¹~·-
avinash.vora - http://www.avinashv.net
LOL Life is not fair everyone knows it but I think a company that does not seel a portion of their software anymore should at least give it away. Unlesss... they are afraid that qb may still have some secret source key to the very foundation to the rest of their software. I doubt that , but who knows with them.
Michael Doise
Developer of TrueTech.net and QB71.com
Apple Geek forever!
* Zack now stares stubbornly at the license agreement.
I knew it wasn't what I got my hopes up for. Sad
When does this copyright expire again?
I'm surprised that nobody has thought about this...how about a petition?

I mean if we can't get all the people in this forum to sign is being a QB forum, then I think wildcard should consider selling this domain for a buck.

Plus its helping the community.

Get people to sign a petition asking for making it freeware or open source or something.
·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡~æthérFòx~¡|i¹'°¨°'¹~·-
avinash.vora - http://www.avinashv.net
Quote:Get people to sign a petition asking for making it freeware or open source or something.
I'm guessing the most they'll do (if they do anytthing) would make it freeware and not open source. I think they woudn't do open source because none of there products that I know of are open source.
I did send a very nice and formal email to them asking for the source to the QB4.5/7.1-Compiler. They replied with:

"No."

And thats it... no header or anything, just "No."

Anyways, it might work if they see a large number of people like it, it's good PR if nothing else.