Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paradoxes! (this will be fun)
Ive compiled a list of paradoxes.
post more, comment, solve, or argue.

Quote:1. If you go back in time and make it so your parents never met what would happen?
--
2. What would happen if I had an unstoppable force and an unmovable object?
--
3. When you run a race and you stop half as far as you ran since you stopped the time before when will you finish?
--
4. In a town, the barber shaves all and only those who do not shave themselves. Question: does the barber shave himself?
--
5. Is the following statement true: "This statement is false."
--
6. Which one of the following two statments is true?
"The next statement is false. The previous statement is true."
--
7. Obviously the following statement is false:
"This sentence contains seven words."
So let us change it to:
"This sentence does not contain seven words."
--
8. Can the omnipotent God create a stone that he himself cannot carry?
--
9. Please answer this question: "Will you answer 'No'?"
--
10. One Greek said, "All Greeks are liars." Would you believe him?
--
11. "If this entire statement between quotes is true then 1=2."
--
12. If you attempt to fail and succeed which have you done?
--
13. What happens if you go lightspeed and turn on the headlights?
--
14. If nothing is better than eternal happiness and a ham sandwhich is better than nothing. Does that mean a ham sandwhich is better than enternal happiness?
--
15. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
--
16. If our universe is infinite and our world is finite, any finite value would take up such an infintly small of space. So do we exist?
--
17. There is no probability, you either do it or you dont. Instead of 80% rain it's either 100% or 0%.
--
18. Where would a hole in a Möbius strip lead?

edit: numbered
edit2: added another
[Image: sig.php]
Back by popular demand!
I will byte and nibble you bit by bit until nothing remains but crumbs.
Quote:If you go back in time and make it so your parents never met what would happen?
Nothing. Time travel is a scientific impossibility that has been proven countless times.

Quote:What would happen if I had an unstoppable force and an unmovable object?
Nothing. Neither exist. Smile

Quote:When you run a race and you stop half as far as you ran since you stopped the time before when will you finish?
¿Como?

Quote:In a town, the barber shaves all and only those who do not shave themselves. Question: does the barber shave himself?
Yes, but he lives in another town. Smile

Quote:Is the following statement true: "This statement is false."
No.

Quote:Which one of the following two statments is true?
"The next statement is false. The previous statement is true."
They are both true.

Quote:Obviously the following statement is false:
"This sentence contains seven words."
So let us change it to:
"This sentence does not contain seven words."
The second sentence is incorrect, because it is a new sentence which is unrelated to the first.

Quote:Can the omnipotent God create a stone that he himself cannot carry?
No. This omnipotent God you speak of does not exist.

Quote:Please answer this question: "Will you answer 'No'?"
No. Smile

Quote:One Greek said, "All Greeks are liars." Would you believe him?
No.

Quote:"If this entire statement between quotes is true then 1=2."
The statement is incorrect.

Quote:If you attempt to fail and succeed which have you done?
Neither. Failure and success are relative concepts and neither has a beginning nor an end.

Quote:What happens if you go lightspeed and turn on the headlights?
You move faster than the light beam. The light is pushed along by the reflective backdrop.

Quote:If nothing is better than eternal happiness and a ham sandwhich is better than nothing. Does that mean a ham sandwhich is better than enternal happiness?
No. The usage of the word "nothing" for both concepts is not ambiguous.

Quote:Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
The chicken.

Quote:If our universe is infinite and our world is finite, any finite value would take up such an infintly small of space. So do we exist?
We do exist, and our universe is indeed finite.

Quote:There is no probability, you either do it or you dont. Instead of 80% rain it's either 100% or 0%.
There is an 80% chance that no one else will respond to this thread. Big Grin
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
most of your answers are what make them paradoxes

1. i said if
2. i said if
3. er...
4. thats the stupidest answer ever
5. if it were false then it would be true and vice versa
6. impossible
7. are you saying the first is correct?
8. eh
9. hah!
10. so all greeks are telling the truth?
11. 1=2?
12. *poke*
13. you cant go faster than the light beam.. you are going lightspeed and so it the beam
14. *poke*
15. you cant exactly prove that
16. i said if
17. *poke*
Back by popular demand!
To the OP:

Some of those aren't paradoxes, they are scenarios where you are given conflicting information.

To Adsorken: You are wrong on most of those, but I will point out how you are wrong about lights:

According to the theory of relativity, if an object is going the speed of light, and emmits light in the direction it is traveling, you will both be going the same speed, but the light would still be going the speed of light relative to you. I know it doesn't make much sense, but look it up insead of saying BS.
Quote:Some of those aren't paradoxes, they are scenarios where you are given conflicting information.
same thing =P (i think but o well)
Back by popular demand!
Quote:To Adsorken: You are wrong on most of those, but I will point out how you are wrong about lights:

I have to disagree after reading over his answers sevearal times
Adsorken answered very close to how I would have plus he spelled it better than I.

Quote:When you run a race and you stop half as far as you ran since you stopped the time before when will you finish?

There is not enuf information on this for an answer. This is mathmaticaly imposible to complete.
unescape.com
Massive online role playing game
Free to play
Quote:There is not enuf information on this for an answer. This is mathmaticaly imposible to complete.
if it were than would it be a paradox?
Back by popular demand!
About the going back in time and seperating your parents thing, the time we live in would probably split into two times. In one time, your parents would never meet and everything would take it's course from there. In the other time your parents would meet and everything would happen like it is now.

The universe wouldn't destroy itself.

But, heh, what do I know? Since we only live in the third dimension we can't fathom the fourth, much less tell how it works.
nd remember kids, only you can provoke forest fires!
Quote:But, heh, what do I know? Since we only live in the third dimension we can't fathom the fourth, much less tell how it works.
actually we live in the 4th demension (space and time) and everything in it is 3d
Back by popular demand!
That's like saying everything in the 3rd dimension is 2d, and so on. The fourth dimension has a fourth axis, right? Show me that fourth axis. Or, take a 2 dimensional picture and show me the third axis. Both are impossible.

[edit]

Or, for a really simple example take the first dimension (a line) and show me the 2nd axis. With that one you can really see the impossibility.
nd remember kids, only you can provoke forest fires!