Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modular programming and the "out of memory" issue
Well? Does it? I heard this somewhere, and thought little of it... but after losing upwards of 1000 lines of code because QB crashed during a save and didn't save any of the .BAS's subs and functions, ( Cry ) I'm considering looking into it...
size=9]"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt[/size]
Both the helpfiles that come with LINK and this website http://www.download-qb.tk/ document how to accomplish overlays. I personally recommend the site.
You will find that the QB IDE is not the best tool for coding in Wink

It does provide some handy debugging features, but things like VisualSlick Edit and UltraEdit are much better for writing the actual code.

Also, you may want to use something like BPP or QBMCX (something like that). Both are pre-parsers, and they will handle all the compiling and linking for you without you worrying about all the annoying parts.

Also, try to keep modules related. ie: Have one disk module which all it does is handle all the access to the disks in you program. That way, you can minimize global variables and bugs that crop up.

I'm not sure if I have BPP uploaded right now, but you can PM/e-mail/IM/whatever me to get a copy (I'm not at home right now though). It's very simple to use and code designed to be compiled through BPP still runs normally through QB/PDS/VBDOS.
Life is like a box of chocolates', hrm, WTF, no it isn't, more like, 'life is like a steaming pile of horse crap.'
If you are considering using Modular programming, then you should learn about encapsulation and abstraction. They are important principles =). Unfortunately I dont know of any good web resource which teaches these.
I uploaded BPP the other day, it (and other things) can be found here:

http://uregina.ca/~cowles1e/
Life is like a box of chocolates', hrm, WTF, no it isn't, more like, 'life is like a steaming pile of horse crap.'