Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wysiwyg... or something like that.
I've been playing with "designmode", a function implemented in IE4+ and Mozilla 1.3+ (including Netscape 7.1, and Firebird/Fox) that makes a document (or an iframe document) editable, and able to use textrange stuff for selections. The present stuff I'm working with, which I plan to use on content managers for people I make websites for, checks to see if support is enabled (for instance, javascript), and replaces all textareas of a certain class. t'would be an interesting idea to have the bold button actually make the text bold or have the list button actually make bullets or whatnot. Just some more daydreaming, though...

Somebody actually made a phpbb mod for it, though it's very buggy and doesnt support people who don't have support for rich text editing.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Hrmmm, everyone who doesn't have a RTF OCX in their system folder will have to download it...

Plus, I don't know if RTF is usable in PHP. Indeed perhaps someone has to try making a (better) mod for it.
What? *slap* this is a javascript protocol. Unless you're running lynx or something, rendering is a non-issue (it edits in html, it's just called rich-text editing). Besides, it would only show a textbox if your browser doesnt support it.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
... and the relationship to this site is??
I'm suggesting you replace the text area I'm typing into right now with a contenteditable iframe where the buttons up top actually make the changes as I type, since textrange (which is what's used when you click one of those buttons) never worked on old browsers anyhow (and you could easy keep the textarea if a browser didnt support rtf editing)...

But this is one of my random idealistic posts, so never mind me Big Grin

pssst.. hey kid, c'mere... want a stylish new smiley set?
I for one would love that instead of this annoying bbcode.
Quote:I'm suggesting you replace the text area I'm typing into right now with a contenteditable iframe where the buttons up top actually make the changes as I type, since textrange (which is what's used when you click one of those buttons) never worked on old browsers anyhow (and you could easy keep the textarea if a browser didnt support rtf editing)...

... and you think I'm that good? I dunno, you'd have to make all the code (as you're doing), I could then install it.

Quote:But this is one of my random idealistic posts, so never mind me Big Grin

pssst.. hey kid, c'mere... want a stylish new smiley set?

Big Grin If you make the smiley.pak file for it Wink
To drag a dead topic.... It's not a phpbb addon but you should be able to install it easily enough if you know your way around the board software. just enable non-css HTML (It can be done with basic regexes if that's an issue), give the textarea a class of "richtext" (or replace "richtext" with your own classname in the .js file), and include hawkwasp.js into the <head> tag of the page. The whole solution is a whopping 2 files (a gif and a .js file) and less than 10k, and works in both mozilla and ie (1.3+ and 5.0+).

If the browser doesnt support wysiwyg, then the textarea should appear as-is.

here:
http://www.betterwebber.com/stuff/hawkwasp.zip
http://www.betterwebber.com/stuff/hawkwasp
Quote:To drag a dead topic.... It's not a phpbb addon but you should be able to install it easily enough if you know your way around the board software. just enable non-css HTML (It can be done with basic regexes if that's an issue),

Eh? What do you mean, "non-css HTML"?

Quote:give the textarea a class of "richtext" (or replace "richtext" with your own classname in the .js file), and include hawkwasp.js into the <head> tag of the page.

That can be done easy.

Quote:The whole solution is a whopping 2 files (a gif and a .js file) and less than 10k, and works in both mozilla and ie (1.3+ and 5.0+).

If the browser doesnt support wysiwyg, then the textarea should appear as-is.

Your demo looks pretty cool Smile. I'll install it when you explain "enable non-css HTML".

here:
http://www.betterwebber.com/stuff/hawkwasp.zip
http://www.betterwebber.com/stuff/hawkwasp[/quote]
well, enable html enough so that you can't mess up the formatting of the site. designmode generates html code.. non-css because I turned "usecss" off in mozilla so they'd match.