Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New post "earmarking" problems
1) When I go to the forum and login, not necessarily checking
any post(s) and then later login from another computer, or after
having the computer shut off for a while, it seems that all
posts that were new then are marked read.

2) This has begun to happen lately: When I click on the "read new post(s)
link (the small yellow paper sheet) it sometimes takes me to the wrong post...
/post]
Quote:1) When I go to the forum and login, not necessarily checking
any post(s) and then later login from another computer, or after
having the computer shut off for a while, it seems that all
posts that were new then are marked read.

2) This has begun to happen lately: When I click on the "read new post(s)
link (the small yellow paper sheet) it sometimes takes me to the wrong post...
About #1, yeah, that's for me too - and it's intended, I believe.
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Yes #1 happens to me also I get frustrated becouse then I have to really look for new post when I'm in a rush & don't really have time. But whith that said I usually check all the board anyway.
unescape.com
Massive online role playing game
Free to play
Number one works exactly as intended - it shows posts since your last visit.

Number two... well, I dunno what the problem is there, I just suggest you don't use that feature, I never do.
the same thing happens to me red_marvin, although i dont log out at all, and after awhile, the posts will mark themselves read. The "read new posts" icon will also take me to the wrong post. Another problem I've noticed is that a forum will say it has a new post, where there is none.
Quote:Number two... well, I dunno what the problem is there, I just suggest you don't use that feature, I never do.

A lot of people use it in order to surf the forum faster without having to scroll down the whole thread again.
igitalblackie.com - Done! Smile Ask about our hosting Wink

-Goddess of the of the No More Religion Threads movement Smile
I know that... but all the same, there's nothing wrong with scrolling down as the page is loading (by pressing "End" repeatedly) so you get an overview of the topic again... to each his own.

Oh, and you may not think you log out, but in fact you may be logged out and then automatically logged back in again if you refresh after a while.
I'm noticing some pretty major problems with the way the forum's showing "new posts". I just visited a poll post three times which is marked as "new" (which actually has no new posts in it since I was here last). The first two times, I saw the poll results (I've never voted in it), and the third time, I saw the option to vote in the poll.

...and it's still marked "New".
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
I'll look into a database resync. Meanwhile, those of you with problems:

Check you're using HTTP 1.1 (this may or may not be important, probably the latter, but just to be sure)
Delete your qbnews cookies, then visit and log on again.
phpBB 2.0.7 is out - I might look at upgrading this if the changelog mentions session fixes.
I think this problem existed since a long time and many people have complained about it =P
Well, I've never had it. So those with problems must have something different from me that is causing them... I think it may be to do with their cookies, because cookies control which topics are marked as read in phpBB forums.