Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Registering a domain name to point to a home-grown server
How would I go about registering a domain name to point to my computer (as the server)? That is, how could I get a "nameserver" type name, that references my computer, and would I have to do anything special to set it up?
And would the cost be really high?
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
It's easy, and it doesn't cost anything other than what you'd pay for a domain name.

1. Register a domain with a registrar (GoDaddy, etc.)
2. Sign up for free DNS with ZoneEdit
3. Log in to your domain registrar and change your nameservers to point to nsxx.zoneedit.com (ZoneEdit will tell you what to use. Mine are ns18 and ns19.)
4. If you have a static IP, you can just set your server IP once at zoneedit.com and be done with it. If you have a dynamic IP, you can get a free client that automatically updates your ZoneEdit account when your IP changes.
When you do this, are the only bandwidth limits what your isp provides? And is it upload or download maxes that you're looking for. Comcast doubled download, but reduced upload to around 30kbs for me.

Do I not have any idea what I'm talking about (as I'm getting my download and upload activity from what happens while using bit torrent)
url=http://fileanchor.com]FileAnchor[/url] - ImageAnchor - FBTK - QbasicNews - VPlanet - Various
Yes. The speed at which people download from your server is limited by your upload speed, and the speed at which people can upload to your server is limited by your download speed.

You've also got to remember that if more than one person is downloading stuff from your site, your upload will be split between them. I wouldn't try anything other than a very small personal site with only 30k upload.
Well, my ISP gives me a DSL 2GB connection. So that means 2GB combined bandwidth of upload and downloads? That sucks. =/
Thanks for answering, Plasma.
And one more question: as long as you are connected to the internet, your IP stays the same, right? It doesn't jump around when you're online, only if you have a dynamic IP and then you reconnect.
Depends on the ISP...I know there are a few DSL ISPs that change your IP every 2 hours, even if you are still connected. (You are automatically disconnected and then reconnected with a different IP.)
Quote:Well, my ISP gives me a DSL 2GB connection. So that means 2GB combined bandwidth of upload and downloads? That sucks. =/
That depends on your isp, you'd have to ask them what they mean by that. Also in order to run a webserver you'd have to install apache for windows (i wouldnt recommend iis for obvious reasons), php, mySQL for your database, and a couple of other things.
igitalblackie.com - Done! Smile Ask about our hosting Wink

-Goddess of the of the No More Religion Threads movement Smile
I've already installed all, AND phpMyAdmin. I use it for testing of my mysql apps. Smile
But yeah, I'll get in touch with my ISP.
Quote:Yes. The speed at which people download from your server is limited by your upload speed, and the speed at which people can upload to your server is limited by your download speed.

You've also got to remember that if more than one person is downloading stuff from your site, your upload will be split between them. I wouldn't try anything other than a very small personal site with only 30k upload.

is there a way to get better upload bandwidth?
url=http://fileanchor.com]FileAnchor[/url] - ImageAnchor - FBTK - QbasicNews - VPlanet - Various
yup, pay more.
igitalblackie.com - Done! Smile Ask about our hosting Wink

-Goddess of the of the No More Religion Threads movement Smile