Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Hell exothermic or endothermic?
The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid term. The answer was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, which is why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most students wrote their beliefs using Boyle's Law, (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate that they are leaving. I think that we can sagely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by one Ms. Teresa Banyan during my Freshman year that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then, #2 cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze.

The student received the only "A" given.

heh, some of you have probably seen that, but my brother sent it to me via e-mail and I thought I would share it.
Life is like a box of chocolates', hrm, WTF, no it isn't, more like, 'life is like a steaming pile of horse crap.'
Certainly interesting, oh and by the way theoritically if Christians are right jews should goto heaven and vice versa because they both beleive in teh same god however the jews have different customs to christians and christians beleive the messaih has come from jesus where as the jews don't.
atos-Software
http://www.datacentertalk.com - interested in how web hosting works? Here the place to go to find out.
[Image: 42-r]
That is so cool!!!!!!!! and true.
very interesting. wouldn't have thought of it.
[Image: sig.php]
Back by popular demand!
I will byte and nibble you bit by bit until nothing remains but crumbs.
I believe hell is only a state of mind. It is you that create your reality at all times. Someone "living" in hell is someone who has uninstinctive fears built up inside of him that causes anger, depression, sadness, etc. If someone chooses, he can recreate his reality and rid any of those kinds of fears achieving a "heavenly" state of mind. This hell that we go to after we die is something religion created to induce fear into the masses. It works out great for population control. What kind of ever-loving God would condemn a soul to suffer for eternity because he didn't follow commandements? I don't think Jesus' words were intending a litteral heaven and hell, and that he was the son god. He was saying that we are all the sons of god and we are being loved uncondionally at all times. People are always looking outwards for answers and to pray, but they don't realise that the answers are within them the whole time. The kindom of god lies within you.
Quote:ever-loving God would condemn a soul to suffer for eternity because he didn't follow commandements?

Where does it say in the Bible that god is ever loving? Hes all powerful.
Also it does not say in christianity that you get sent to hell for breaking the commandments; in fact theres only one sin htat gets into hell according to the bible, that is not repenting. By this we mean not been truely sorry for your sins, and not making an effort to change. It also says in revelation that people going to hellill include the fallen angel(generally known as satan or the devil...) and someone often mentioned in the Bible called the false prophet.
And wether or not you are a christian I think its important that you know these before your ask why God would send people to hell. Also before you ask why God does not stop suffering you need to read the Bible and make sure you understand what it says.

I may also add I do believe in Christianity, and I do appreciate that other do not. Allthough if wanna know more, just ask.

Also i think question like that should be used more often in exam papers - a way of testing peoples true intelligence and not there ability to meet exam criteria.
atos-Software
http://www.datacentertalk.com - interested in how web hosting works? Here the place to go to find out.
[Image: 42-r]
That's enough, there'll be no more religeous talk. Members are reminded that topics that swing to religeon may be locked immediately (though they may not be locked if debate remains calm).

Just keep discussion on hell being exo or endo, OK?
wtf...how can you talk about hell without getting religious?
Oracle: I don't understand why we can't talk about a common subject like religion and spirituality. It's in the general sections, so what's the problem? I didn't offend anybody did I?
Quote:
R@dioman Wrote:ever-loving God would condemn a soul to suffer for eternity because he didn't follow commandements?

Where does it say in the Bible that god is ever loving? Hes all powerful.
Youre right, he's not all loving, that's why he sents people to hell.

Quote:Also it does not say in christianity that you get sent to hell for breaking the commandments; in fact theres only one sin htat gets into hell according to the bible, that is not repenting. By this we mean not been truely sorry for your sins, and not making an effort to change.
There is only one unforgivable sin, and that is blasphemy against the holy spirit (ghost). All others are forgivable.

Quote:It also says in revelation that people going to hellill include the fallen angel(generally known as satan or the devil...) and someone often mentioned in the Bible called the false prophet.
The fallen angel's name in the bible is Lucifer. Satan was a "son" of god, according to the book of Job. Satan was also a pre-Judaism god. He was the god of fire and creation. He was later mixed with Pan, the horned god, and Tritan, ruler of the sea, in order to create the "devil" figure.
Quote:And wether or not you are a christian I think its important that you know these before your ask why God would send people to hell. Also before you ask why God does not stop suffering you need to read the Bible and make sure you understand what it says.

If youre not a Christian, why would you care, beyond simple curiosity and debate purposes? If you are a Christian, then they believe that they go to hell because of what they did, not because God sent them to hell, even tho god is all-powerful, meaning that noone else has power, and he can do what he wishes.

Quote:I may also add I do believe in Christianity, and I do appreciate that other do not. Allthough if wanna know more, just ask.
I think the word you were looking for is "tolerant" and that is good, more tolerant people are needed in the world. Maybe then there would be less violence.

Quote:Also i think question like that should be used more often in exam papers - a way of testing peoples true intelligence and not there ability to meet exam criteria.
A principle that has come up many times in philosophy and pedagogy.
igitalblackie.com - Done! Smile Ask about our hosting Wink

-Goddess of the of the No More Religion Threads movement Smile
Hrm... Sort of a silly bonus question if you ask me. Why?

Well, it depends on how you believe god works. He could either be fueling hell himself, keeping it hot until such time that he decides that hell should freeze over, or he could make it a place where the rocks burn eternally without consuming themselves. The problem with that guys assertion(regardless of whether he got an A or not) is that souls don't have any mass, so you could cram as many as you'd like into hell and it probably wouldn't make a difference in the temperature if you take into account the way ghosts don't appear to displace oxygen.

OF course, all this is truly irrelevant, because as we all know, the pope has declared that hell isn't a burning inferno of fire and brimstone, just some really really bad place. Gotta love the RCC. Tongue