Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wish...
I wish that they had made a new version of QB, that focuses more on PROJECTS than only a few files.
I mean, wouldn't it be nice not to have all the
SUBs, FUNCTIONs, etc. in one big file, and use several files?
And it's a large pain in the arse to do that!
Look at C++. The only reason I'm at all interested in it is because of it's speed, and easy capability to have several files for the same project.
And structure! Using multiple files is (if you ask me) really good structural programming!
I know it's easy to have just, say, palette files, and load them, but I mean MORE than that! Have the engine in one file, the graphics in a bunch of others, and some sections of the game, such as the instructions, in another file that would be loaded, the controls in another file (every game should have the ability to change it's controls), and the palette in another.
You could CHAIN all of them, but then you need them to be compiled, and that isn't what I mean.

Another thing, wouldn't it be less memory-consuming to put any sine and cosine tables for, say, a 3D raycaster, in a RANDOM file and then load it, rather than using an array?

Excuse the ranting, but I'd like to see another version of QB that will get as mainstream as C++.
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
IMHO, using files instead of subs is ......

OW

I just bit my tongue while eating apples...... AAAAAAAAA

not a good idea. I think QB has this already with modules, anyways.

Why I think it is not a good idea:
1) Files get lost.
2) It's easier to copy and move one file than a whole bunch of files in Windoze.
3) It's difficult to edit in notepad if you don't have the IDE. Java allows you to do this file/sub thing easily and it wreaks havoc on us poor students without an IDE for an already-obsolete language. (because we have to use notepad or equivalent)

Now what would be a GOOD idea is if one could select and copy from a file--or even directory-- a SUB to his own program inside the IDE.
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
What does editing in Notepad have to do with anything?
Microsoft should make a new IDE, maybe Windows, and it should come with the compiler and interpreter, and it should support the ability to open multiple files.
It is always better to split your project in as many files as possible. It helps tidy your code, reuse portions without having to COPY/PASTE, it allows better memory management, it allows bigger projects to get compiled, it helps if several people are in the coding, it allows not having to compile all the big thing if you just changed a comma in a SUB...

Usually, it is better to have a module for GFX functions, one for the sound system, one for the game levels, and so forth. For example, I've been using the same GFX and SOUND modules in my last projects or "attempts" Smile

You can read my tut http://www.geocities.com/na_th_an_wopr2k/limits.txt for tips about splitting your code in modules,

ALTHOUGH

it is better to make your code split FROM THE BEGINNING... it can be a headache to split your code once it is started as a big, untidy and dirty single BAS file.

Also,

QB IS ALREADY CAPABLE OF MANAGING PROJECTS AND OPENING SEVERAL FILES SIMULTANEOUSLY!! Tongue read my tutorial about that.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
I agree, na_th_an, that's exactly my point.
I don't have any time to read your tut now, but I will next time I'm on the computer.
i dont see anything qb is incapable that isnt a shortcoming of the compiler's core itself. you can use and link multiple files and libraries in any way that pleases you. if qb's ide fails in a way that you think exists in a conventional ide, use one of the many multi-language ides out there.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
qb doesn't (fundamentally) support bitstrings. :|
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
fantastic.
Quote:i dont see anything qb is incapable that isnt a shortcoming of the compiler's core itself.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
didn't someone suggest a new version of QB that would compile to a 32bit Windows program? it would run in a window, so SCREEN 13 would just be a 320*200 win or something like that....

I like that idea, but then there's palette problems and such Sad
size=9]"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt[/size]
it wont happen. to make it perfect you'd have to go so far as to emulate dos itself, in which case you might as well put a virtual machine on your computer and run the real mccoy.

visual basic is microsoft's "32-bit qb" (after version 4 anyhow). they even went so far as to make vbdos to ease the transition. you're best bet so far is to check out some 3rd party basics, such as powerbasic and purebasic (though you have to pay). i dont know which is the fast of the free basics.