Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB and visual basic
Hey anyone out there know anything about VB, and how it compares to QB. Some people I've talked to say that VB suckes compared to QB and harder to learn. And that you can't even use the keyboard init - only the mouse.

Oh, and this is my first post in this forum, YAY!

~bobrobyn
If she weights the same as a duck,
then she's made of wood, and therefore-
a witch"
-Holy Grail
I learned VB basics in 1 afternoon.

Its relation with QB is just that they use the same BASIC dialect.

VB is great, IMHO, if you use it for what it was designed. Remember that each language has its own focus Smile
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
VB's purpose = Eyecandy (hey, its the best kind of candy =P).
nah. Vb has a more formal appearance for making things like small buisness applications or colorful interfaces. it also takes Basic to the limits using OOP. (Object Oriented Programing)
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
Quote:Hey anyone out there know anything about VB, and how it compares to QB. Some people I've talked to say that VB suckes compared to QB and harder to learn. And that you can't even use the keyboard init - only the mouse.
Whoever told you that crock of horseshyte deserves to be strung up by their toenails and painted purple. If you are used to QB, there are some things in VB that are hard to learn...and vice versa. For example; QB is more procedural, VB is more event-based. It is possible to write procedural VB programs, and it is possible to write event-based QB programs. Big Grin That thing about the keyboard is UTTER garbage and whoever said that needs to be removed from this planet as they are not fit to breed with amoeba. VB has three distinct events for keyboard handling (KeyDown, KeyPress, KeyUp) in addition to the ability to use API calls (GetKeyState, GetAsyncKeyState) and DirectInput (which few people actually use in VB for keyboard handling due to VB's superior intrinsic keyboard handling). Graphics and sound handling in VB is different than in QB though...there's no SCREEN 13 or anything, you either have to use the GDI (BitBlt, StretchBlt, etc) or use some graphics library (which are almost always DirectX wrappers anyways).

One interesting thing about VB is that VB has no built-in support for console applications (at least VB6 doesn't, I don't know about VB.NET). Of course, through API calls (again), this isn't hard to do. The only problem with it is that when a VB application is run from a console, it is detached from that console (which is rather weird but oh well). I think there's a way to reclaim the handle of the console but I've not looked into it enough (how much call does one have for a console mode application in VB? Umm...none! Smile).

The long and short of it though is that VB certainly does not suck, and the only people who've used QB and say that VB sucks are QB elitists who you should avoid like the bubonic plague anyways. VB is a different approach to programming in BASIC, and one you should take quite seriously if you ever want to progress past hobbyist programming. Big Grin

Quote:Oh, and this is my first post in this forum, YAY!

~bobrobyn
Welcome to the forum. Big Grin
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
I find vb looks alot more professional than qb. VB is very nice for small projects and even large (if i can ever find a good tut on dx... *sigh* maybe this weekend when i go to the city...) it can put in sound better than vb can, and try making combo boxes as easily in qb as in vb.

i've heard of bitblit, stretchblt. unfortunately, all tutorials deserve to be in the landfill.
Jumping Jahoolipers!
http://allapi.net/

*The* VB Windows API source. Too bad they stopped updating, but the site is still there.

It has excelent example code and demos. However, it is fairly techincal and does require you to know how to program and read programming manuals (ie: It's not for people who need to take a CS110 class).
Life is like a box of chocolates', hrm, WTF, no it isn't, more like, 'life is like a steaming pile of horse crap.'
Thanks guys for your help.
If she weights the same as a duck,
then she's made of wood, and therefore-
a witch"
-Holy Grail
BitBlt and StretchBlt are super-easy once you understand Device Contexts. Big Grin
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
I have VB4 Pro (go to http://www.download-qb.tk/ for evry version of BASIC, BASIC to VB 4Pro, there ever was). It's nice, works OK, has lots of OCX's, etc. It lets you do OOP, make Rich Text Boxes and Web Browsers, and other great stuff I was delighted to find. An alternative, if you want to be non-microsoft, is Envelop, a free VB-like OOP GUI Event Oriented Programming Language. It's a small download, there's no "Lite" and "Pro" versions, everything is included, and there is a Rich Text Box and OOP and many things VB doesn't have. My problem is, it's almost impossible to learn! I've never yet figured it out, and I don't mean to as long as there's VB 4. It has poor documentation, online or offline, not much support, not many users (so there ain't too much examples, sourcecode, or web sites I can find). It's cool, but I can't figure it out. So I recommend VB4 or newer.
rogramming is like life - you work first, then play. :bounce: :rotfl: :bounce: :rotfl: :bounce: :rotfl: :bounce: :rotfl: :bounce: :rotfl: :bounce: :rotfl: :bounce:
Quote:BitBlt and StretchBlt are super-easy once you understand Device Contexts. Big Grin

Ie. Layers or Surfaces. Just memory bundled together. Sort of a "canvas".
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/