Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocket Fuel Mayhem, project news.
I just hate when my code start to behave like crazy. Like this stupid "binding" error. Sometimes when I try to run source code of a larger project,QB IDE freezes before it even starts to run the source code,in the moment when it is being binded(uhm?). I really don't know what binding is but I noticed that I have to recode some parts of my code and some remove to be able to test my code again.

But sometimes,finding part of the code which causes that problem is almost impossible,since it is,a correctly coded set of statements,which for some reason are to much for QB to chew. I don't know. Did you ever had these kind of problems? How can I avoid them?

Last Saturday,it ate away 4 hours of my free time.

Still I did a lot of nice things with Rocket Fuel Mayhem code. I coded 2 new ships and finished spriteswith pilot of one more.

Also made a new scenario. And added nice animatons which apppear on appropiate scenarios,like rain on Cydonia. It will be cool.

One problem is AI. It's still to easy to beat it. It just won't behave enought smart on really close range,when you constanly ram into computer controled ship. Strangely enough on college PC,where game plays with the right speed beating AI is much harder.
Yeah, yeah. I've had problems with it.. size problems... but I'm not using a library currently. And the exe would create strange errors even when qb wouldn't!!! :|

Just code the AI as if you are the one playing. What are your strategies? Put that in the AI.
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
once something froze while I was saving it :x
size=9]"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt[/size]
Quote:Did you ever had these kind of problems? How can I avoid them?

a. Yes. The QB IDE doesn't like to interpret gigantic programs.
b. Compiling from the command line.
c. Good luck with your AI code.
img]http://usuarios.vtr.net/~disaster/sigs/annoyizer.php[/img]
How the heck did you get so incredibly lucky and why aren't you in Las Vegas getting filthy stinking rich?

Quote:once something froze while I was saving it :x
ravelling Curmudgeon
(geocities sites require copying and pasting URLs.)
I liked spam better when it was something that came in a can.
Windows should be defenestrated.
ok, more like 30 times Tongue
size=9]"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt[/size]
I think I got the binding bug once more.It just forced me to do some mad stuff with the code.Make it super short.Thought on some parts it's still sloppy.

Anyway drawed 9 ships and coded 8 of them.I hate the last one.It supposed to be somekind of version of Arilou Skiff from Star Control.You know,ship with antigrav unit.But it's utterly stupid to control him and AI sucks with that ship.

I'll will deffinetly remove it or redesing it.I have a new cool idea which will make the 8. ship somewhat special.

3 scenarios are done like I said.I'm pretty happy with them.I must draw 2 more backgrounds and one will appear only in tournament.

I coded some neat ship reapearing routines.

When I finish all that I plan first to complete the extra modes.Coding tournament mode will then just be a matter of formality except for the end game animations.Still I have them worked out in my head.

Peace be.
Drawed the fourth background. It's really great. Not dark as the rest but blends nice with the ship sprites. I might put it in extra modes as always available to player and make the one of the already exsisting in the demo as secret one(appearing only in tournament). I don't know.

Redesigned the 8th ship. My idea as special ability came out superb. I love it.

So basicly now I need to draw two more backgrounds,while one
will be just space(zero gravity level,without ground) the second one is still not in my head. It must be cool but something I can draw. Must think!

Also I need to create the special pickups routines, code the 9th secret ship and that would be the jit of the code.

Rest is coding the menus,some stuff about extra modes, tournament and the biggest challenge story and end game animations.

Cross your fingers!
No sign of "binding" bug this weekend luckily.Can't say I was relaxed. I can never been relaxed during college semester,when you think with one part on the classes and upcoming exams and with another part of your head on how will you use those few hours during the evening to code something notable.

I shouldn't have probably coded this weekend cause of an upcoming exam but heck,I still lack that crucial amount of self-discipline.

I changed the font.This one is more,err...techno...and neat. Not my font again but that's old news with my games.

Coded special pickups routines. Not that happy with the pickup modules sprites and the way they appear in the arena so I might nitpick with those routines some more thought they are pretty much finished.

Redesigned the menus. On the begening I had a bit ambitious idea
of making the menus really flashy,with nice sparkling icons,without
text but I kinda gave up on that. I don't know. Those routines would take a lot of my time and memory space during compiling so I'm not too motivated to play with them. And there's the question of how good would I be able to draw those icons. Still menus will be more interactive that the ones you saw in my previous games.

Incoded the fourth scenario in the game. Tried to draw the secret scenario for the last level. Not that bad but I have my doubts about it.

Pondered about extra modes. Some of original ideas don't seem workable now, and others I came up with not interesting enough thought for sure I'll add at least one extra mode which will not be a classic ship shoot out but I don't think players will go crazy for it.
Methinks we should rename this forum "Lachie Dazdarian's Diary" :rotfl: