Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "So you want to make an RPG?" thread...
So you want to make an RPG? Well, there's a lot of things you're going to need to know. You can NOT just jump right into it! Well, you can, but then you won't get past the damn map engine!

Okay, for starters, you're going to need to pick a language. Since Qbasic is one of the slowest, crappiest, oldest languages still "commonly" used, I very obviously suggest using *it*! Yep. Nothin more fun than tryin to paint a masterpeice using a fricken fork.

Okay, now we got the language out of the way. "What next, SEPH!?!!!!" you ask nervously. The libs. Yes, the libs. What lib do you use, if any? Is PureQB the way to go? Well, ask yourself this. Do you want to put yourself through hell and then some, just to say "I made a PQBRPG!!!" and get about 4 claps altogether in the Qmunity? Well if you're the nutjob who said yes, then PQB it is! For the rest of us norms, we'll try sticking with one of the less suicidal paths:

- DirectQB: old, but powerful
- M-something lib: I forgot the name, it starts with M. Basically a newer, "better" version of DQB
- Future.lib: Who needs 1024x768 res in QB!
- UGL: Great for speed, and runs efficiently and smoothly. my choice.
- Zephyr's: Never even heard of it until now.

Okay, so that's settled. Use UGL cause it's fast and furious. Why not use mode 13h you ask? Well, I never quite explained this. But many people have. Here's my perfect example: Using PSET to set a point's colour is one of QB's slowest ways of setting a point's colour. And yet, it's QB's choice for all the examples in the help menu. So, if QB's own functions are slwoer than their secondary functions, then why the hell use ANY of QB's own natural functions? Why not rely on something we KNOW is fast and works?

Okay, next section. The variables! Wait, we'll get to that in a minute. First, you're going to need more than one module (.bas file) since RPGs are usually complicated. If you're going to make a crap RPG with only one .bas file and just DATA for images, then go to hell and get out of this thread. You don't deserve to live. Anywho, Make sure you have QB 7.1 downloaded, with libs. Why not QB 4.5 you ask? Well when making my games using UGL, I could only compile a certain size game before the program simply didn't wanna compile anymore. Which reminds me, you're going to want to do all your coding in Notepad.exe, and compile out of the QB IDE. It's one hellofa lot faster and easier... if you don't think so, then keep proggin in QB's own slow IDE, but you still should compile by hand. I myself used a modified version of one of Blitz's batch files for compiling my games, since they look confusing and I didn't wanna write one of my own. So back to my point, use QB 7.1 and compile outside of the QB IDE. It produces smaller code and it compiles faster. Don't know why, just know it does. And you're going to have to link the modules together when compiling. I think this has something to do with a .mak file (just a text flatfile with a list of the .bas files in all CAPS and then a linebreak at the end).

I would go onto the variables but it's been so damn long since I coded, I forgot what the hell I'm talking about. So someone else must finish this off. NOW!
earn.
For example, here is a game I was working on. I based my previous post on everything I did making this game:

http://sys.blissdev.com/seph/seph.zip
earn.
hmm... your rpg uses ems. i'd like to take this time to say this: not all WinXP computers support ems! Some (like very popular dell models such as what i have Big Grin ) you can't support ems by cranking up the tab. you have to go into the bios and disable the usb controller or something like that. It seemed to work for me, but it means i can't use the usb devices Sad just thought you guys would like to know, and know why that idiot barok can't figure out how to enable ems. :lol:

basically this is a message i found about ems and some computers.

Quote:A small percentage of Windows XP-based computers (including some popular Dell models) do not support Expanded (EMS) Memory even after you follow the procedures for enabling EMS described elsewhere on this site. On such machines, abbreviation-expander software like Smartype and PRD+ will not load and function correctly, and WPDOS 5.1 will have less memory to work with than it needs. With some (perhaps not all) of these computers, you can enable EMS by making changes in the BIOS ("firmware") of your computer. The BIOS (Basic Input-Output System) settings are the hardware settings that control the way Windows works with your machine; the settings cannot be changed from inside Windows, but must be accessed during bootup by pressing a key that opens up a special BIOS menu.
Jumping Jahoolipers!
How ironic. This computer, the one on which I coded my demo, happens to have some words scribbled on the side... something like Dell OptiPlex GX200. Don't really know what it means. But my optical mouse, wireless network connector, and Kodak EasyShare connector. Weird, huh?
earn.
If anyone will know how to do that barok, it's nathan, so just ask him Wink
igitalblackie.com - Done! Smile Ask about our hosting Wink

-Goddess of the of the No More Religion Threads movement Smile
It doesn't have to do with Windows XP. Install Windows 98 and you'll get the same results. That happens with cheap and bad mobos, and Dell computers love to use them. In such cases, it would be handy to have an EMS emulator... And I think Plasma has something to do with this.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
well, i followed instructions on how to enable ems. it seems to have worked... i don't know. but when i try to play games like ped xing, i get a message saying "no emm driver detected."
Jumping Jahoolipers!
It's not necessarily "cheap and bad mobos", it's mobos with a lot of integrated devices. I have an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe, hardly "cheap and bad". Tongue The problem is the ROM for all those onboard devices ends up where your pageframe would go...since there's no room for a pageframe, EMS no workie. I've tried disabling every onboard device, but I get the same results.

And yeah, I'm currently working on an EMS emu...only supports 64K right now because I haven't implemented any of the mapping functions yet. (But it already runs a few games, including YGMae and Syn9's 3D engine.) I'll get back to work on it right after I finish my website, which I'll get back to work on right after I finish unpacking all my stuff from college. Tongue
doesn't vdmsound include a memory emulator?
Plasma: If you know how to get the mapping working, I'd love to get my hands on your work. I've been looking for info on that but can't find anything.

wizardlife: No, it sets the EMS settings in windows. It only emulates the sound hardware.

Of course, there is also DOSBox which is a DOS emulator (EMS/XMS/Sound) or using a true VM such as VirtualPC or VMWare.
Life is like a box of chocolates', hrm, WTF, no it isn't, more like, 'life is like a steaming pile of horse crap.'