Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fonts in graphical editor...
Ok. Recently I download some new fonts pretty wicked ones, as well. I want to use them in my graphics editor (Micrographix Picture Pub). But the dont show up in the font menu. So I mosied on down to my windows>fonts folder where I had put the new fonts. They were there, but had a different icon. I checked the file name... but hangon! They are TTF, as are all the other fonts in that folder! So how on earth do they have a different icon?

[Image: temp_fonts.jpg]
These are the two different icons. The new one (on the left) is not recognised by my graphics program. The one on the right has a different icon, but the same ext, and is recognised by my graphics editor.

And yes, the program does pull its fonts from this folder.

And dont tell me to get a different graphics editor! =)
Ahh see look! Look what you've made me go and do! Download photoshop! pft. Your all evil. :lol:

But still, i would like to know what is up with those fonts...
hey are Opentype, a new format (enhacing TTF). They should work in all Windows programs, It's strange that they don't appear in the list.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
hmm. Ok, is there anyway of coverting the old TTFs to the new?
Hang on. I think you have to 'install' or 'register' the fonts. But then I am not really sure.

Can the other programs use the new fonts?
Any font in the WINDOWS\FONTS directory should work on any windows app.
...except Word XP, of course...which sems to ignore all fonts except Roman if you have a generic printer/print to file for your default printer...
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
I've noticed this problem in photoshop as well... it seemed to mostly apply to 'symbol'-type fonts, so I didn't concern myself with it.

If anyone finds the fix, let us know.
Photoshop works fine with the fonts, its just my other editor. Hmm. And on a by note, why is it that Photoshop cant seem to save files nearly as small as my existing one? I saved as GIF, and photoshop gave me a 5.35Kb file. In my other editor, saving from the same raw file to gif gave me only 3Kbs. Is there web optimisation tools in photoshop? the best could find is the small amount of options it gave me when saving, and they still didnt save that small.
Photoshop web optimization is the best out there. Just use "Save for Web..." and choose the correct options, and you'll get the smallest files. All those options are in Photoshop from v. 5.5, previously they were only in ImageReady.