Poll: How much longer do you think the qbasic community will survive ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
More than 7 years
100.00%
21 100.00%
6 years
0%
0 0%
5 years
0%
0 0%
4 years
0%
0 0%
3 years
0%
0 0%
2 years
0%
0 0%
1 year
0%
0 0%
Less
0%
0 0%
Don\'t know/Not sure
0%
0 0%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
-
QB will survive for as long as their is someone to use it. And I think that will be for a long long time. Even though newer versions of Windows block/or not allow current MS-DOS programs there are games for MS-DOS that a lot of people still want to play(Monkey Island Trilogy ;-) ) so as long as the gaming platform for MS-Dos lives so will Qb.
QB ruuuuuules!
and monkey island is very good too
/post]
Um monkey island isnt a trilogy. and only 2 used dos. But the first three sure were great. 4 sucked,

tired need sleep.. too many posts in one day...

and i got half life back up!
b]Hard Rock[/b]
[The Stars Dev Company] [Metal Qb flopped] [The Terror]
Stop Double Posts!
Whats better? HTML or Variables?
Quote:Um monkey island isnt a trilogy

I own Monkey Island Trilogy ;-) I don't consider the 4th one part of it yet.. heck I don't even like the 3rd one. The last two lost(don't have any) character so there were only 2 decent monkey island games. Give me Police Quest 1, Space Quest 1-5 any day over "modern" ones. Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max are a no brainer classics.
I´ m a big monkey island fan and I daly curse the bad luck that they never ported MI 3 for mac oh and MI 4 isn´ a MI game accournding to me they even changed frum the scumm™Smile endgen to the lola endgen and it really suuuuuuuuuuucks

*goes away cursing that they never ported MI 3 for mac*
oh and you gotta love the way I spelled from! (to lazy to edit the post)
Quote:I own Monkey Island Trilogy I don't consider the 4th one part of it yet.. heck I don't even like the 3rd one. The last two lost(don't have any) character so there were only 2 decent monkey island games. Give me Police Quest 1, Space Quest 1-5 any day over "modern" ones. Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max are a no brainer classics.

Number 3 was awesome!!!!!!! and 1 and 2 were better but 3 was still good.

BTW scumm can be emulated in windows so you cant argue dos will live on becuase of those games(i play them in windows now, since sounds works Smile)

Quote:´ m a big monkey island fan and I daly curse the bad luck that they never ported MI 3 for mac oh and MI 4 isn´ a MI game accournding to me they even changed frum the scumm™Smile endgen to the lola endgen and it really suuuuuuuuuuucks goes away cursing that *they never ported MI 3 for mac*

the scumm emulator uses sdl, sdl works for mac. mi3 is not yet supported by the emulator but may be(just be patient). nuff said.

So what if 4 uses a new engine? scumm is SO old that you have to move on eventually, and even if mi4 isnt that good, but grim fandago was so dont mock the engine.(plus its nice that the charecters actually look at the usable items)

Quote:oh and you gotta love the way I spelled from! (to lazy to edit the post)

Ill let you go this time, see I HATE DOUBLE posts, ive done it once(not counting the test board), but that wasnt intentional, but yours was.

If your too lazy to edit the post, you better be too lazy to post a new one right after it too....

So dont double post next time.
b]Hard Rock[/b]
Stop Double Posts!
Anybody knows wich language Monkey Island was programmed in?
/post]
Monkey island isnt really programmed. It was made in scripting engine called scumm.

Quote:SCUMM. Quite an odd name for something that would change the landscape of adventures forever. Actually, it is an acronym for Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion. Developed by Aric Wilmunder and Ron Gilbert for Maniac Mansion, SCUMM would become the jewel in LucasFilm Games' (later called LucasArts) crown for years to come. Whether SCUMM is actually a game engine or just the language is debatable; at any rate, it is obviously a script creation utility.

Though the details of the internal workings of SCUMM are a little sketchy, it is known that the scripts are compiled in a low-level format, comparable to Java bytecode. Basic codes are included for arithmetics, jumps, calling statements, arrays, and functions (typical functions from The Curse of Monkey Island include WalkActorToXY, GetTimeDate, LoadCostume, etc.). A typical SCUMM game would have anywhere between 250 and 350 of these functions. An example of decompiled code from The Curse of Monkey Island, kindly given by Jimmi Thøgersen, looks as follows:

Actor.Init(4); Actor.Face(180); SayLineSimple(4,'/B3Kn399/Justbecause you're a grownup...'); Wait.ForMessage();SayLineSimple(4,'/B3KN400/... doesn't mean that you can wastemy time.'); Wait.ForMessage(); Actor.Init(1); Actor.Turn(180);If(!BinVar583){ SayLineSimple(1,'/TWGT462/Hey! There's nobottom to this mug!'); BinVar583 = 1; }
He goes on to explain what each line does:

Line 1: Choose actor number 4 for the next Actor function.
Line 2: Make actor number 4 face 180 degrees (relative to straight left)
Line 3: Make actor number 4 say this line (the /B3KN399 stuff is used for identifying the file with the spoken dialogue).
Line 4: Waits for spoken dialogue to finish.
Line 5: Speaks another line.
Line 6: Waits again.
Line 7: Choose actor 1.
Line 8: Turns actor 1 180 degrees.
Line 9+: These last lines only show the text is BinVar583 is 0 (it's set to 1 if Guybrush has already looked at the mug) in order to avoid using the surprised line when he already knows there's no bottom.

That might explain a litle further....
b]Hard Rock[/b]
Stop Double Posts!