Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows...
I have an old PIII(450MHz) which I have dual booted with WinXP and I am happy to say that it boots up quite fast. It takes it about 10-15sec from the time it starts booting up(not switching on the PC).

I know most of you must be using Windows XP so I was wondering how fast it loads up on your PC?
Depends on how many heavy programs are on it... Since I've installed Visual Studio .NET it takes a little longer to boot up. It's a PIII 800 with 320MB RAM and it takes like a minute to boot up. That's our shared pc. My own is a P4 3Ghz with 1024MB RAM. Takes ~10sec to boot up Smile
Quote:Since I've installed Visual Studio .NET it takes a little longer to boot up. It's a PIII 800 with 320MB RAM and it takes like a minute to boot up.

I am confused =S. My machine is exactly half your specs(450MHz, 160MB RAM). Besides I too have VB.NET installed. Heres a list of programs installed:

1. Norton AV
2. VS.NET
3. Ms.Office
4. M$.VisualStudio 6
5. Photoshop 6
6. Sygate Firewall

and other stuff...
By, booting up, do you mean the time before the desktop appears (or login screen) or when the computer actually becomes usable, IE when all the shit is really loaded Tongue
I meant the login screen.
That doesn't really matter, Z!re uses Win98 :wink:

My programs:

PSP 8
VS .NET
Norton AV
BlackICE Firewall
MS Office

And more... Smile

There's a huge difference between VB. NET and the entire framework (I'm even using add-ons like J# .NET) In total it takes up 3.5 gigs 8)
Should it really matter? It has to load only after you login.
No, it doesn't, that's what I wrote...
No you mistook my comment. I meant does the user softwares that you have installed really make a difference to the boot up process i.e. upto the login screen? AFAIK it shouldn't matter.
It does, booting up has also got to do with your diskspace.. try booting up exactly the same system with 10gigs free diskspace and with 5gigs... There is a difference