Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QBasic MUD!
I'll jump right to the point. Would it be possible to write a MUD in QBasic? I'm not talking about the single user, non-interactive door based games. I mean a muliti-user game where players can interact with eachother in real time. I've done MUD coding in the past, and yes I do know that this is pointless and that C would be the language of choice, but this is a quest to delve into what may seem impossible. Most people say "no" right of the bat. And really this is true, but there are external libraries that might make this possible. I'm not worried about writing the world, or engine, anything else EXCEPT the multiplayer support. Writing something like this for a single player would be entirely possible. But I'm going for waht most would deem not possible.

So in conclusion I'd like to ask for everyones opinions and ideas. As well as what libraries you think would make this possinble, and whatever else you can think of. I'm not asking for code or predone work. That defeats the purpose entirely. Kust input. Thanx!
Yes
The question should be "Is networking possible in Dos using qbasic ?" And that may be possible. But maybe the real question should be "Do you really want this?" Do you really want to try and network up computers with qbasic? You need two or more computers, and a way for them to communicate. If they can communicate then yes it is possible.

Are you trying to communicate over:
* a modem?
* a ethernet card?
* a floppy disk?
* a serial port?

Waste of time trying to use a modem or a ethernet card as you will have to have drivers which will be near impossible to get. Floppy disks just suck and its not really anybody's idea of communication. Serial ports I have no knowlege of.

Maybe you should keep thinking that I will say "Use C instead". Maybe that will help you.

But by all means try. Dont let me discourage you.
QBasic is horrible for accessing com ports, but it shouldn't be a huge problem...

Theres a modem lib out sumwhere thats pretty fast, and allows u to access ports 3&4 instead of just 1&2

Uh.....jsut give me a sec.......i'll get the link

QB45MDM.LIB and BC7MDM.LIB
Modem Routines (Comm Library)
By Scott Slater

Can't find the link, but google that jiberish ad you'll find it Wink

Oz~
Wow, that one's actually fast? Smile Yeah, I own google :king:
Its not super fast, but quicker than using OPEN COM

I'm sure some of QBasic's finest ASM/QB ppl will devise quick QBasic modem routines *hint hint*

Oz~
This has already been done hasnt it?

http://forum.qbasicnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=5069

Meg did one a while ago ^^^. Actually... where has Meg gone????
Quote:This has already been done hasnt it?

http://forum.qbasicnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=5069

Meg did one a while ago ^^^. Actually... where has Meg gone????

No thats a bit differant, but is what i refered to in my original post. Yes it does support multiple connections, but the connections/users can't interact with eachother. I'm looking to to make a way for them to interact with eachother. Yes yes, I know I could just use C and be done with it. But this ism't about using the easiest tool avalible. Granyed I've worked in C with MUDs before, but I just wanna see if it's possible in basic.

Ethernet is what I'm looking to use here btw. Forgot to state that earlier. Now I'll go and google for the libraries stated here.
Yes there is a way to create a multi-user interface in QB. No library is needed at all. First all you need to do is join/create a network (this can be done in windows using a serial cable, modem, or ethernet). Make sure you have file sharing enabled for all the computers connected together. You will now need to map a network drive to one main computer, such as H:. When you map the network drive, all the computers will be able to access the main computer at once. Now in your program, instead of using a library to send data packets over a modem or cable, just use the OPEN SHARED statement to transfer small files containing the same data that you would normally use to send using OPEN COM. By adding SHARED to the end of OPEN, you will be able to have more than one computer reading/writing to a file at a time. This solves the problem of having a multi-user interface over a network, but what about online. Yes I believe by using this method of sending data back-and-forth, you will be able to use FTP or any other DOS, possiblily even WINDOWS, program to do the copying for you.

Sorry if I couldn't explain any better than this (I am terrible at explaining things). I have tested this already so I know it works. Not sure about over the web, but I'm sure it would work.
Did I miss something? Why has no one suggested the use of Freebasic?
[Image: sig.php]
Back by popular demand!
I will byte and nibble you bit by bit until nothing remains but crumbs.