Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am looking for an artist...
Hey guys,

Well, I've finally decided to go ahead with this project I've had in mind for almost half a year.

I want to make a Point'n'Click game, revolving around the life of the Mafia. The catch is that I would really like the entire game to be done with drawn graphics...ie. either pixelled or hand-drawn then coloured in computer. I know it is a lot to ask...but well if you are an artist then you should like to do that, right?

I'm looking for a very dark atmosphere...kind of like the grunge in the comics in Max Payne...

It will be a lot of work...this is a very ambitious project...

I'm not sure how I will make it...QB?(probably not) VB, or some engine like AGS...I don't know yet.
I am just looking to see whether I can find someone to do the art.

I'd do it myself, however, I have no skill with a pencil or a tablet.

Thanks,
Laters
·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡~æthérFòx~¡|i¹'°¨°'¹~·-
avinash.vora - http://www.avinashv.net
You should really set some kind of required graphic standard. And forget about finding someone willing to do for you that kind of graphic in such large quantity(point and click adventure game - every new scene needs to be done from scratch - tedious) on a highly professional level for free. Also, you need to be specific in what resolution and in which screen mode you want the graphic.

I personally might be willing to work on it if I had a computer but the graphic would be on the level of Detective Academy. But much darker, of course. You might think now "Ewww...Yuck, no!" but don't expect much more from someone else. Or for the possible "artist" to do all the graphic work.

Skills is not crucial. Trust me. With a lot of will you can make "acceptable" graphic yourself. Depends what you want.
Look, I am not one to ask for something that I haven't at least tried doing. I have tried, spent ages; hours and hours, to draw something good. There are somethings some people are better at.

I never said it has to be professional quality. I never said anything. I never gave specifics, since I'd go by what the author wants, rather than myself.

Every scene will need to be done by scratch. It will be a lot of work. I take it you aren't an artist turned programmer, rather the other way. I know plenty of people who enjoy drawing, unfortunately they have no computer skills. However, they wouldn't say it is tedious.

As for the part about it being free.

Shit yeah. Nobody in this community gets paid for the games. It is for personal satisfaction, and to give something to the people who have held on to the grandfather of the microsoft corporation. Is being the most important part of one of the most ambitious projects of recent memory not give enough appeal? People spend hundreds of hours writing code, drawing sprites, making utilities, and mapping levels. I don't see anything said about that. You yourself have done that, have you not?

My view on this project has changed anyway. I am now aiming for basically a multimedia comic book kind of thing. With pictures, but sound effects, onscreen animation etc. 10 minute short movies. With 10 or 15 slides a movie, it could be targeted all over the Internet with my choice of platform: Flash.
From the artist's perspective, its basically the same. More colours to work with...

I got the feeling that you think I am going to use somebody's work, and arrange it with little difficulty and steal all the credit. Frankly, (if that is the case) I am insulted. Without knowing much about me, thats a pretty rash assumption. However, if I'm wrong...well...my bad?...heh.
·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡~æthérFòx~¡|i¹'°¨°'¹~·-
avinash.vora - http://www.avinashv.net
No, I'm just saying it's hard to find someone to work on your idea and story. Someone following your requirements and doin(drawing in your case) tasks. Trust me, I know. I went through hell trying to find artists to do small amount of graphic for Dark Quest. And once I found them, it was a nightmare dealing with them. Getting them to do the promised work.