Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microsoft Word and Microsoft Works
Just wondering..... :???:

Why did Microsoft make 2 Word Processers?
Which one is better?
What is the differnce bettween them?
Quote:Why did Microsoft make 2 Word Processers?

Who knows!?!

Quote:Which one is better?

I don't know

Quote:What is the differnce bettween them?

The 1st is used for attempts at word processing and the 2nd is an old oxymoron.
Microsft works is cheaper, and can do spreadsheets/address books/database/word processing, but as you can guess, its all limited in functionality.

Microsoft word is more expensive, but can do anything, and has billions of feautures youll never use. But lots of ones you will that works doesnt have.
b]Hard Rock[/b]
[The Stars Dev Company] [Metal Qb flopped] [The Terror]
Stop Double Posts!
Whats better? HTML or Variables?
MS Works is just a cheap imitation of Wordpad or Write.

If you're gonna use an essay formulation tool, use Word.

The reason why I don't say "Word Processor" is because it doesn't process a word, just checks its spelling. :|

Oh, and one thing that Word does have is 3 views... and paragraph spacing.. (double triple etc) and more and more popular types of save files than Works. (that's almost 100% a fact, as a teacher of mine used Works, sent me something, and it came out garbled junk and couldn't be processed by Word.

Two programs. One company. Incompatible file types. :lol:
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
It isn't nearly that bad. Smile

Did you do a full install of Word? I can import Works .WPS files into Word just fine. (But Works is really really clumsy. I thought Word was the worst thing they could produce until I saw Works.)

Quote:MS Works is just a cheap imitation of Wordpad or Write.

If you're gonna use an essay formulation tool, use Word.

The reason why I don't say "Word Processor" is because it doesn't process a word, just checks its spelling. :|

Oh, and one thing that Word does have is 3 views... and paragraph spacing.. (double triple etc) and more and more popular types of save files than Works. (that's almost 100% a fact, as a teacher of mine used Works, sent me something, and it came out garbled junk and couldn't be processed by Word.

Two programs. One company. Incompatible file types. :lol:
ravelling Curmudgeon
(geocities sites require copying and pasting URLs.)
I liked spam better when it was something that came in a can.
Windows should be defenestrated.
works is supposed to be the poor man's ms. office. costs about as much, and has spreadsheet and database capabilities built. i think it also came first. either way, get work, if you can afford it, it's a better peice of software.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Quote:works is supposed to be the poor man's ms. office. costs about as much, and has spreadsheet and database capabilities built. i think it also came first. either way, get work, if you can afford it, it's a better peice of software.

I think my man Joe means get *word* (not works). Works is often preinstalled on new PCs as a 'teaser'. People try to use it, realise its crappy with a fraction of the features of Office and buy that instead. In the olden days I don't think you could even open Word docs with works. I soon got ridda that Wink
In a world without walls and doors, who needs Windows and Gates?
sorry. yes, i meant word. call it a freudian slip.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
There isn't any point spending $300 in Ms Word when you can download Open Office for free. I did it, and it works way better. It is free, portable software. It handles docs in the XML format, so you're sure that your docs will look the same in one computer or another, having Windoze, Linux, FreeBSD or BeOS, so no more crappy Word problems.

You can download the whole suite for free at http://www.openoffice.org

I'd suggest that. It loads and saves MSWord's DOC, so you won't have any problems with your old documents.

Just a valuable advice. Screw MSOffice.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Thanks for your help. Smile