Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This isn't QB, but... (WARNING! LARGE IMAGE(S))
This is a screenshot of a program we've been working on for some time now. Basically...if you're familiar with Webshots or BikiniDesk, you should know this kind of program. Basically, it's a desktop manager/content system. It can refresh your desktop on command or at regular intervals and you can download new desktop images manually or, again, at regular intervals. The program is called DeskQueen, and this is its second incarnation. We're still working on its categories and content, but most of the actual wallpapering functions are completed. In this screenshot, we've finalized the DQP file format (DeskQueen Picture) and have one displayed in the preview pane, as well as actually displayed on the desktop.

[Image: deskqueen-first_shot.jpg]

This kind of stuff isn't "hard" per se, but making an effective interface takes time. The actual act of setting new wallpaper in code requires two writes to the registry and an API call to SystemParametersInfo.

This program will be "donationware", as the bandwidth requirements are expected to be tremendous once the program is launched.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum or is "out of character" for qbasicnews, but we're just pretty psyched about bringing this project close to completion. Big Grin
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
nice

show us some more screenies... i wanna determine whether or not i should donate to this prog... and the best way to do that is to see as many desktop images in the nude categories as i can
earn.
lol

Cool proggie, dunno if I'll use it, but still cool Smile
Can this program only change wallpapers? I mean, the program looks nice and it's awesome programming, but what do they need the program for if they can just right-click their desktop and change wallpaper? :roll:

Or maybe I'm wrong and you've already implemented cool other stuff Wink
It's more than a wallpaper changing program...well okay its main purpose is wallpaper management, but you have a few extra options, like SmartStretch which proportionally stretches wallpaper that isn't "normal" wallpaper size (I'm sure everyone's seen horribly skewed desktop wallpaper before), you can display it in black and white, and we just added a horizontal flip option. Wallpaper is organized by category, and you can create your own categories and store your own wallpapers in them. The program can automatically cycle your wallpaper and also download new wallpapers automatically. Like Webshots, it also comes with a customizable slideshow screensaver. But unlike other wallpaper managers, it can also change your display resolution, system icons, Windows effects, and other display-related functions. Realistically, it's meant to be a replacement (for most common users) or companion (for expert users) for the native Desktop control panel.
Ah I see...
I like the SmartStretch option, but I usually do that in an image editing program, although most users wouldn't do it that way Smile Black and white and flipping can also be done in an image editor.
The categories are an improvement though Smile About downloading wallpapers, I usually download wallpapers from the internet myself, and I really don't like the "automatic" downloaders which fill your computer with wallpapers of which 99% you either don't like or never put as wallpaper.
The screensaver... well it's cool, but it depends on the person (e.g. I don't do screensavers).
About the advanced features of Display Configuration, it is cool you implement it as well, and you might even improve it some more Wink (although you'd still have to link through many Window APIs to get all display configurations and videocard configurations (yes those are in Display Panel as well)).

I understand the point some more now Tongue thanks Wink
I'm not quite sure yet how to hook into certain areas of the control panel (for example, the nvidia panels on my own Display control panel), but that's okay too because the common user doesn't ever get that far into configuring Windows. It's mainly a program for the casual user who likes a bit of dynamicism on his/her PC. Big Grin Also, all the automatic stuff can be turned off and you can do everything manually if you want. Lots of options. Big Grin
The more options the better. Good Wink

About dynamics on a PC... it takes system power Smile Thus, it might not be suitable for everyone.

About donating... if I had much money I'd just donate something without even downloading the program... Wink It already looks good.
Thanks Big Grin

Well I certainly hope it turns out to be all we expect it to be...I've been organizing content on and off for about six months now and I finally nailed down the DQP format so now it's just a matter of converting all the content to DQP format...takes awhile. Sad Hopefully we'll have this thing live by December.
... you work so slowly compared to me
earn.