Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROUNDING, using the CINT, and related information.
At issue is the definition of "rounding". The Quickbasic 4.0 manual for CINT says "Converts a numeric expression to an interger by rounding the fractional part of the expression."

Up until two years ago, I only was aware of one method of rounding. Then I discovered that there were at least eight recognized methods. The CINT function incorporates a variation of the IEEE 754 standard for rounding. The CINT does the following:
2.5 is rounded to 2 instead of 3.
-124.5 is rounded to -124 instead of -125.

Many years ago, this strange behavior was considered by me to be an error in the CINT, so that's why I never use CINT.

As a result, I then wrote a little rounding algorithm, as follows:

ZSIGN = SGN(x)
RESULT = INT(x +.5*ZSIGN)

I was happy with it, and used it for years. Recently I found that certain combinations of numbers give erroneous results, like -123.9 gives -125, and -15.9 gives -17. I have a feeling (totally unfounded) that this is a single precision floating point problem with negative numbers, since the input to the algorithm is single.

Then I took a look at an algorithm by Oracle, which avoids doing arithmetic on negative numbers, as follows:

result = SGN(x) * INT(ABS(x) + .5)

I have tested this little honey every which way from Sunday, and it consistently gives the rounded result which I consider "normal".

If you guys want to see Microsoft's document on the different rounding methods, with a table of methods by programming language, please go to the following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp...us;Q196652

It'll blow your mind!
Has anyone read the following page regarding rounding?:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp...us;Q196652

If you have, I can't believe no one has any comments. I can't believe you all knew about the 8 methods of rounding, and that you're convinced that your method is fine.
So, basically, what they're saying is that there's multiple ways of rounding in which to render 'unbiased results'. Unfortuneatley, this really doesn't apply to anything that I would do regarding programming... so.... It's kind of weird that they have multiple ways of rounding, true, but there is really no sort of real-world application for me.
ovaProgramming.

One night I had a dream where I was breaking balls. The next morning, BALLSBREAKER was born.

Quote: Excellent. Now you can have things without paying for them.

BALLSBREAKER 2
~-_-Status Report-_-~
Engine: 94%
Graphics: 95%
Sound: 100%
A Severe Error has crippled BB2 for the time being... I have to figure it out, but until then you won't see much of it Sad.
-----------------------------
Quote:So, basically, what they're saying is that there's multiple ways of rounding in which to render 'unbiased results'. Unfortuneatley, this really doesn't apply to anything that I would do regarding programming... so.... It's kind of weird that they have multiple ways of rounding, true, but there is really no sort of real-world application for me.
Fine, but you cant ignore the problem forever. When you get into programming in Visual Basic, SQL, and Java and use their "built-in" rounding functions, you will discover the "real world". I'm just trying tro make you aware of the problem in advance.
And I appreciate it! but my friend tells me that "basic in any form sucks" such as visual basic... basic.... even QBASIC!! NO!!!!! And I don't believe it. I'm living in the past, baby, and it roxors.
ovaProgramming.

One night I had a dream where I was breaking balls. The next morning, BALLSBREAKER was born.

Quote: Excellent. Now you can have things without paying for them.

BALLSBREAKER 2
~-_-Status Report-_-~
Engine: 94%
Graphics: 95%
Sound: 100%
A Severe Error has crippled BB2 for the time being... I have to figure it out, but until then you won't see much of it Sad.
-----------------------------
Your friend is a jackass, a nerd, and an idiot all rolled into one. Time for a new friend.
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
Quote:Your friend is a jackass, a nerd, and an idiot all rolled into one. Time for a new friend.

Well said, well said. Only people who don't know how to code would tell you BASIC sux and C is leet.
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
I added the friend, and talked to him, just for fun.

He doesent know how to code, he just:
"Studies a lot of languages, and because of that [I] know which ones are good and which ones suck"

"BASIC is a bad language because it's too simple"

"BASIC is interpreted"

"BASIC isn't portable"

"BASIC is uppercase, and the variables arent case sensitive"

"Emulation is porting"

*sigh*

WTF is up with everything needing to be portable, screw portability, if I wanted to make stuff for Linux I wouldnt be making stuff for DOS/Windows.

Portability does not make it better, gee...

4n(| fR33B4s1C r0Xx0rs!!111 OMG WTF LOLZZ!!!1111
Quote:...a jackass, a nerd, and an idiot all rolled into one. Time for a new friend.
Isnt that you? :rotfl: (j/k)

Nova there are real world applications for unimaginable things :wink: So saying "this does have real world application or that doesnt have....blah...blah...." is foolish.

Moneo, interesting info. I just came back so I saw this thread for the first time. Will get back to ya if I have any questions.
When you're a hobbyist programmer, portability may not be a big concern, but it certainly is very useful.