Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IsoRPG
Well, a few of you may remember a little unfinished game i made called ISO. Well, I lost interest when QB started acting like a...

well, anyway, now that I don't have the same limits with FB, i'm going to restart the project!!

IsoRPG!!

I'm not planning on making an entire RPG with this thing, just a walkaround engine. It's going to be kinda cool though, as everything will be life sized. Aren't you tired of the characters in an rpg being bigger then a house, or even a city? well NO MORE!!!

the environment BEAUTIFUL - this screenie isn't that great - it doesnt show ANY of the city... it's just from the development thing... i dont have any textured blocks in this screenie, but you CAN see a dude wearing red armor. (the guy is totally animated btw.)

Anyway, it'll be p*p scrolling, animated blocks, animated chars, etc., etc.

(btw, its going to be 640*480*256)
[Image: char.jpg]

FYI there wont be any playable demos for a while, and also, as i've said, i'm NOT planning on making this into a full game.

[As posted on QBTK and FBTK]

Also...

MY 100th POST
(Officially a Senior Member)

:king:
Any progress?
There's something wrong with your isometric engine. Look at the steps. They don't make any sense.
Other than the pyramid section seems to be floating, the steps all line up just fine. Not like its one of those optical illsion paintings...
ature has its way of warning a person away from danger: The distinct black and white coloration on a skunk, the chilling buzz of a rattlesanke, a redneck handing you his beer and saying "Watch this!"
It is completely fine, I don't see any odd stuff.

Btw, neat work Smile If you plan to release this as a engine, be sure to make it "coder friendly" Wink
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
I still think it doesn't makse sense. Look at the yellow lines:

[Image: illogical.bmp]

The lines shoe that he's only making 90 degree turns 1 square away and then goes back up. Shouldn't he be ending at the same spot? Even if the pyramid was floating, the stairs still don't make sense. The stairs are shifting.
Thats because it's a 2D scroller, with isometrically drawn tiles.

Pyro, if thats how you've done it, look into using "real" isometric engine with "3D" tiles. Or you'll end up having to draw... somewhere around... LOTS... of tiles/sprites/stuff...
It doesn't appear to be out of whack (for a forced perspective game). The grid seems to line up:
[Image: chartest.jpg]

...maybe it does fall into the optical illusion category...
ature has its way of warning a person away from danger: The distinct black and white coloration on a skunk, the chilling buzz of a rattlesanke, a redneck handing you his beer and saying "Watch this!"
Exactly. I think I understood the picture 'cause I've played so many isometric games that used this technique, invented in 1985 by the software house Ultimate Play The Game (formed by the Stamper brothers that are now the "big bosses" of Rare, well known in the console scene -Donkey Kong Country comes to mind, as well as many "modern" games-)for their game "Knight Lore" (a true masterpiece), so I think I'm "made" to it Wink. FYI, this technique is called "Filmation". Why? No idea.

[Image: yr12_33d.gif] [Image: sftwre1.gif]
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Those pics reminds me of Solstice. I can't remember who made it, but it's a great game for the NES that I still have (and play.. and get frustrated by). It's just a huge iso dungeon that you have to collect staff pieces in and dodge baddies. Worth a look. :wink:

And the pyramid looks logical (minus the floating part)..