Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux stuff...
Hey guys,

I just installed SuSE and am having a problem, seeing as there are some linux-people around here I thought I'd post here. It's been a while, heh. I can't get my screen-res any higher than 800x600x16 the config manager keeps saying it doesn't recognize my monitor. It's a KTM-1564, and yes, that's about all I know. I've been searching the web for a while now, to no avail. Any ideas anyone? Thanks Smile
OK - what you need is the horizontal and vertical sync rates, as well as your monitor's maximum resolution. They'd be in the manual. You can set it manually with yast.

Is it a LCD or a CRT? CRTs should work with the generic settings. LCDs are pretty standard as well.
Run xf86conf (or xf86config - can't remember the name) from console; this will go through the steps to configuring X (and hence your video card/monitor information). Have the information that eno_on said; htrace/vtrace.

Just have your manuals around and have a computer with Internet access about. You can look up any information you're unsure of.

In the script is also a resolution configuration section. Add the resolutions you want to support -- you can choose the default from here too.

Hope this helps a bit.

-shiftLynx
img]http://www.cdsoft.co.uk/misc/shiftlynx.png[/img]
Use yast to change the settings. If it doesn't work, SUSE most likely uses the X.org X server, so the setup script would be xorgconfig.
Nobody uses XFree86 any more?
img]http://www.cdsoft.co.uk/misc/shiftlynx.png[/img]
X.org has kinda replaced XFree86. XFree86 is still around, but X.org is newer and better.
Quote:Nobody uses XFree86 any more?
XFree86 is still in circulation, infact the latest debian distro (Sarge) is using it.

HQ, What you need to do is set the "modeline" in the XF86Config file. To do this you will need to know a few details about your monitor so get your monitor's manual. Go to the link below, input your monitor's values and the required refresh rate. It will then output the correct "modeline"
http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl

Now open up your XF86Config file and add the modeline parameter to the "Monitor" block. Then edit the "Screen" block and add the new mode. For example, my samsung monitor support 68Hz refresh but under GNU/Linux I was getting only 60Hz so I put in a new mode like this:

Code:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "SyncMaster"
        DisplaySize  280        210
        HorizSync    30.0 - 55.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
    >>>>Modeline "1024x768@68" 75.44 1024 1056 1336 1368 768 783 792 807<<<<
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Screen"