Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freeware compiler with Width support
I need help with a compiler that supports Width command and is FREEWARE. Help me. :???:
qb4.5????
[Image: sig.php]
Back by popular demand!
I will byte and nibble you bit by bit until nothing remains but crumbs.
freeBASIC?
Come on guys, no links?

FreeBASIC is freeware (more than that, it's Free and open source) and perfectly legal to download. And yes, it supports the WIDTH command.
Here's where you can get it: http://fbc.sourceforge.net/

WARNING: qb 4.5 is not freeware! Though you probably wouldn't be sued for doing so (Microsoft doesn't seem to mind), strictly speaking it's illegal to download it. I suggest you download FreeBASIC instead. I am not a lawyer and you should not take this as legal advice, for that contact a lawyer. I can't be held responsible if you do get in trouble for it - download at your own risk.

That said, here's where you can download qb 4.5: http://qbnz.com/pages/downloads/software/index.html
Sterling, no need to scare him Wink
No, that's OK. But, I already have a "freebasic" program , and it won't let me use WIDTH, or SCREEN 13 :???: . is this different?
WAIT! :lol: I made a mistake. Mine is a different thing altogether. thanks anyway.
Quote:WARNING: qb 4.5 is not freeware! Though you probably wouldn't be sued for doing so (Microsoft doesn't seem to mind), strictly speaking it's illegal to download it. I suggest you download FreeBASIC instead. I am not a lawyer and you should not take this as legal advice, for that contact a lawyer. I can't be held responsible if you do get in trouble for it - download at your own risk.

That said, here's where you can download qb 4.5: http://qbnz.com/pages/downloads/software/index.html

so is very thing below 4.5 copyrighted, what about qb versions above 4.5?
Quote:so is very thing below 4.5 copyrighted, what about qb versions above 4.5?
All versions of QBASIC, QB, QBX, VBDOS, and Visual BASIC are copyrighted by Microsoft and illegal to download.

Unless of course, you download or otherwise got it from Microsoft, then it's ok. I seem to remember qbasic being available somehow from microsoft.com a long time ago. And I think there is/was a crippled or simplified version of VB for download too.

It doesn't matter if Microsoft has abandoned it or stopped selling/supporting it. If you've got QB and you didn't buy it, you're a criminal. If you've made or given out copies of it, you're a criminal Tongue

Here's how it works, as I understand it:
You write something, then publish it somehow (in a book or letter, or start selling it or whatever) and it's automatically copyrighted. Meaning, people have to ask for your permission to make copies of it. And that copyright lasts until 70 years after you die, or something like that (so it's ok to download Shakespeare).

To make downloading QB legal, Microsoft would have to make a statement like "Microsoft Inc, hereby officially gives anyone and everyone permission to freely distribute and accept verbatim copies of Microsoft QuickBASIC, under the following conditions..." etc
...which they will not do. Big Grin

At the same time, they will not pursue legal action against copyright infrigners for any of their MSDOS-based products.
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.