Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FreeBASIC's minimum hardware requirements?
This would probably make a good addition to the FAQ.

I'm asking so I know whether I can put -march=i686 in the makefile CFLAGS for FB's built in graphics library.
I think you will find fb's min requirements are any computer running at least windows 95...
atos-Software
http://www.datacentertalk.com - interested in how web hosting works? Here the place to go to find out.
[Image: 42-r]
I think FB generates ASM code optimized for 686 generation processors, yes. Think I read it somewhere.
Quote from Features:
Quote:while FreeBASIC isn't an optimizing compiler, it does many kinds of optimizations to generate the fastest possible code on x86 CPU's, not losing to other BASIC alternatives, including the commercial ones
cu helpy
Quote:I think you will find fb's min requirements are any computer running at least windows 95...
Oh yeah. And Windows 95 supposedly runs on 80386s, but I doubt anyone runs it on anything less than a Pentium.

I guess it's not a huge issue, setting GCC to compile for a more advanced CPU only helps size and speed by a few percentage points.
Quote:And Windows 95 supposedly runs on 80386s, but I doubt anyone runs it on anything less than a Pentium.

The box-requirements of 95A was 80386SX 25MHz, 4MB of RAM, VGA, and 35MB of HDD.

My friend and I did try this once, you coudln't install it with less then 8MB or RAM, but once installed you could take 4 out and it would run. Of course, it took 45 minutes for Windows to load.

Not that I imagine anyone out thier is running that sort of configuration these days.
Life is like a box of chocolates', hrm, WTF, no it isn't, more like, 'life is like a steaming pile of horse crap.'
Win 95 worked just fine with 6mb ram, 386 25MH 6144KB RAM Big Grin Booted in ~2-3 minutes
A 386 would need a co-processor, does FB have emulation? Probably not...
Another thing to check is if there is MMX code somewhere (SDL?), this would exclude the x86, and pre-MMX pentiums and pentium-pro's

Another issue is some functions of Win32 API were not implemented in W95. Is someone testing in W95 ? I suppose W98 is the bare minimum.
Antoni
I'm using Win95B|P3-450Mhz|DX7. SDL is working. But DirectX still not working properly. I guess, it just coding error since it up there in split second and then closed.

But I think FB will run smoothly under Win95 + 80486DX + 8MB RAM. I assumed nowoday noboday has the hardware that low used as their main PC. Probably hobbyist still have those with DIY matches box size embeded PC.
= inc(¢) Big Grin
I've tried it in my Pentium 120, 32 Mb RAM and it works.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i