Poll: What do you think ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Make it !!!
100.00%
15 100.00%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB in VB
I start a new project... it is called DarkAge and it's supposed to be QBasic but in windows. see:

1. made in VB
2. all commands will be the same as in QB
3. more commands so you can use internet, directX...

i just hope i can do it... it's just for fun now.

[Image: darkage-t.gif]

The QB-RPG Scene
It would be a substantial undertaking to create a new QB-compiler, but as support for DOS is dropping with each new version of Windows it may soon be the only option for keeping QB alive.

I would like to see a portable open QB compiler written, but I believe it would be more than a one person job and would definetly require some knowledge in compiler construction.

An interesting project would be to create a QB compiler that produced ANSI compliant C code that could be compiled (portably) to an executable. This approach would require a fair amount of work for things such as variable length strings.

What are the major differences between QB and VB? I havent used VB to any extent, but to me it appears that VB does most of what you are after, porting QB code to VB shouldnt require too much effort and VB allows for networking, directX etc.
esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
Quote:I start a new project... it is called DarkAge and it's supposed to be QBasic but in windows. see:

1. made in VB
2. all commands will be the same as in QB
3. more commands so you can use internet, directX...

i just hope i can do it... it's just for fun now.

[Image: darkage-t.gif]

The QB-RPG Scene

Sounds neat. Read up on how to make a text parser/interpreter. You will want to break up the commands into libraries. And I'd practice making simple scripting languages first.
Quote:Sounds neat. Read up on how to make a text parser/interpreter. You will want to break up the commands into libraries. And I'd practice making simple scripting languages first.

Well looking at his rpg demos I'd say he knows a little about scripting ;-) I think any QB like IDE/script language would be great for Windows, as QB isn't about speed/etc just about making fun games/programs/etc
Sounds like a great idea, but it'd be even cooler if you could get it to be as portable as c, so you could write for mac, linix, unix, pc, etc.
[Image: Signature.png]
This is an interpreter no? Without converting to some sort of byte code and then running it on a vm sort of thingie it'll be slow as hell. And for a vm to be effcient you need jump tables, and for jump table you need function pointers. So if you ask me, coding it in C/C++ is a better alternative. Atleast the "VM" part.
oship me and i will give you lots of guurrls and beeea
yeah... comparing to qb isnt much of an accomplishment, and in 32-bit you have no excuse for the speed to be close. but he did say it was just for fun and writing an interpreter is good practice.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
i think it's a good idea, but hard to realize, cause of the compilin'.
You have to know exatly what way an EXE file worked. but i guess you can make it. good luck
B 4 EVER