Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
animation?
how would you animate something? ive always been able to move the charecter around the screen but it gets sorta boring without it doing anything else. i would just need simple animations, like walking, running, jumping,ect... also, if it is not to much trouble, how would you create inertia effects.
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
One method is making a series of pictures that are the same character, except with the legs or arms in a different position, i.e. walking. Then, modify your game engine so that it will constantly swap images in place of the character, hence producing an effect of the character walking.
Don't ask me for details. I'm terrible at graphical programming. I just know some theory, and the commands.
Ask me to make PacMan, and I'd pass out trying :barf:
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Quote:how would you animate something? ive always been able to move the charecter around the screen but it gets sorta boring without it doing anything else. i would just need simple animations, like walking, running, jumping,ect... also, if it is not to much trouble, how would you create inertia effects.

If you want anything even approaching realistic physics, you will need to store the character's position in real values (SINGLE and DOUBLE) rather than integers, and you will have to have separate velocity and acceleration -- also real values.

Every animation cycle you update the velocities based on the keypresses, and then update the positions based on those velocities. Just before you print to the screen, copy your real values into integer variables... It's not qb, but you can see an example of this effect in my game here.
do you know of any good sites that have detailed tutorials on physics for animation in a program? if so, then just put a link in for me. ill let you know if i find one though.
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
You'll have to describe what kind of physics you want before we can help you.
am an asshole. Get used to it.
the basic ones, like inertia, and cushioning a landing after someone jumps. if you don't know what im talkin about then a tutorial on creating inertia would be fine. i already found one on the cushioning thing but it was a little complicated.
Well, it is just physics. It comes in every physics book from your high school. It is like a shot: you have two movements, one vertical which has acceleration (gravity) and one horizontal which doesn't.

You can go to VPlanet and download LALA, it has source code. That game includes that simple but effective physics that I described above.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
In fact, the horizontal move has a deceleration factor: friction. But... it depends of the situation. [Image: upsidedowna.gif]
img]http://usuarios.vtr.net/~disaster/sigs/annoyizer.php[/img]
And wind... either in the forward direction or backward direction. Microsoft's Gorilla.bas program models wind and friction etc.

Now, what is this inertia you guys are talking about? The text book definition of inertia is this: "The inerita of an object is the relationship between the torque of the object and its angular acceleration. What this means is that inertia applies only in situations where there is angular rotation. Since when could a QBasic game ever show angular rotation? Don't forget, angular rotation is not translational motion.

So what are you guys meaning by inertia? Are you actually referring to translational motion around a corner?
LoL I am just thinking about all the stuff you guys are saying and thinking to myself: Why would you need to know all this stuff 'friction' 'wind resistance' and all that for an RPG game?! then it dawned on me: some people make other things besides RPG's....... nevermind just stop listening to me I don't know what I'm doing. Tongue
ovaProgramming.

One night I had a dream where I was breaking balls. The next morning, BALLSBREAKER was born.

Quote: Excellent. Now you can have things without paying for them.

BALLSBREAKER 2
~-_-Status Report-_-~
Engine: 94%
Graphics: 95%
Sound: 100%
A Severe Error has crippled BB2 for the time being... I have to figure it out, but until then you won't see much of it Sad.
-----------------------------