Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
switching from 4.5 to FB
all i have ever done in QB has been in 4.5. i never have done much. what should i acpect form FB and how is the transition? are there a bunch of new commands and syntax?
What's "acpect"?

Syntax is the same. There are some new commands and mostly new features, but you can keep coding the way you did in QB 4.5, provided you don't use MSDOS-specific hacks.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Quote:all i have ever done in QB has been in 4.5. i never have done much. what should i acpect form FB and how is the transition? are there a bunch of new commands and syntax?

The most difference between the two are, that FB is 32bit.
That means also, that a integer variable is 32 bis and not 16 bit.
Additional you can difine variables as "byte" and so on.

I think in all other points FB is completly compatible to QB.

Greatings
theuserbl
Quote:What's "acpect"?
Perhaps "expect"?
Quote:
Quote:What's "acpect"?
Perhaps "expect"?

Maybe he meant IcePIC : The Europa "Ice Penetrator Internet Committee"?
ature has its way of warning a person away from danger: The distinct black and white coloration on a skunk, the chilling buzz of a rattlesanke, a redneck handing you his beer and saying "Watch this!"
fb is qb, but more powerful.

For non-graphics stuff it's basically the exact same thing (except for integers eing 32 bit, and short being the new 16bit variable type)

For graphics, it's a bit different, but nothing you wont pick up easily.

I would recomend though, that you learn SDL or some other gfx lib directly instead of relying on the inluded gfx libs, not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just that if you ever want to add stuff, it's much easier if you are already using SDL (for example), such as image handling and stuff.
And the most important difference:
FB does'nt have an IDE or a debugger (yet)
Antoni
There is an unofficial IDE , which actually works pretty well , it is dpwn loadable -- but I cannot for the life me remember from where
maybe sourceforge.net -- but I am sure someone can tell you.
see www.hot.ee/wizgui/setup.exe
From Vongoderic.
Put these files in the FB folder which itself should be in your main 'C' directory.
Make sure you have the sdl.dll file in windows sytem folder.
Quote:There is an unofficial IDE , which actually works pretty well , it is dpwn loadable -- but I cannot for the life me remember from where
maybe sourceforge.net -- but I am sure someone can tell you.
Like what Antoni Gual has said, QB' IDE is not only an IDE but also a debugger, and that makes QB more user-friendly than FBC. For a pure editor+executer, UltraEdit, EditPlus and SciTE are all good choices at least for me.