Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IT stinks
If you had read my other posts you might have seen that i am really depressed about what is happening currently (truly in the past few years) in informational technology.

In the past, until WinXP a strange, but good think was going: borders between old software, and new ones were not really exist. Usually all old DOS programs ran on Windows based computers like in the past if they not became easier to use due to that the hardware's propeties could be asked easier in Windows. This gained hope to programmers: anyone might feel that she or he can go forth step by step as long as he or she wants: there is no problem. And can develop software as long as if he or she wants as everything is remaining compatible. So i think this gave a great hope to people who had some affinity to it: with learning everything can be reached step by step.

But now as i can see and feel everything was changed dramatically. First of all Gates completely gave up DOS: i think this was not just an accident. This might have been made many people turning away from programming who stuck at DOS. After hopefully DOS began to start reviving again, but this is not the same as things were before. Not to mention that Gates did not stop: i think it is not just an accident too that holding SHIFT or pressing it 5 times brings up some helping function of Windows. Many games used SHIFT as an action key. At an other side a security function that disables all the JavaScript greatly stinks too: JavaScript is typically for poor HTML writers who have not got own servers.

The hard development what is going on in IT is horrible too. Everything is going so fast that there is no time to use up a hardware's full functionality, or to write a really professional thing what takes more years. So i think as the borders finally risen again, now forever between old and new, their role is changed too. From the past there may be many things what will be remembered for a long time like at C64, but from the news i think this will be rare. Now this became a horrible race for more and more money where quality is not important anymore. Of course (i hope) this not applies to everything, but many of them. What is not from now that will be outdated when it will be released. Quality simply needs time to make it well.

So i think it would be good for the world (yes, as now many things are being controlled by computers) if Gates' company was shoot into atoms by by the law. It would slow the things down a little so everyone might take a breath and possibly everything could clear a little.

This not only applies for Micro$ofts world. As hardware creators mostly support MS, it greatly affects Linux too, and everything else. For them it would be really good if Micro$oft could be stopped or at least slowed down somehow what would make them more spread.

Of course there is still some hope. Many people hated and hates the new Windows. Hope that if Gates creates some new "breakthrough", it will be so horrible (MS will try to go too far) that many people finally switches to Linux, or at least keeps using the old Windows. In this madness around the IT it is possible. Micro$oft can collapse into itself by a wrong move, and as it completely relies on Windows, that would be it's last move.

So currrently i see things this way. I do not say that everything is true as i say, but i think i have at least a little truth. I am doing my work by this ideology: DOS is something clean: i am triing to work on real "art" there. I program for Windows (95) as well, but i still far more like 16 color screens in 640Kb of memory than all of the advantages of 32 bit programming (Possibly i will write retroish software for Windows too).
fter 60 million years a civilization will search for a meteorite destroying most of the living creatures around this age...

There must be a better future for the Cheetahs!

http://rcs.fateback.com/
Retro revolution all the way! Big Grin

I love playing and making retro games... or at least starting them. I haven't actually finished any yet - apart from the one I'm making at the moment, which I will finish (almost done). I agree with what you're saying, but so long as there's money to be made, they won't stop churning up more and more stuff.

Another factor is that most normal people buy a computer and use that one for about 3 years without upgrading it (by normal, I mean people who can't or don't want to replace a load of hardware every month).

In the future, I would greatly prefer to just go into research rather than trying to compete in creating "cutting edge" games or something. A lot of old games are a lot better in terms of gameplay than most modern games. Whatever happened to adventure games, too?

-shiftLynx
img]http://www.cdsoft.co.uk/misc/shiftlynx.png[/img]
Don't you understand the therm "progress"? and "profit"? think on them, and you'll understand why Gates abandoned DOS.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Welcome to the capitalism.
/post]
Windows XP has been one of the few things that M$ have done half-well. I can't be happier (well, I can, but well, after suffering Windows 95 and 98, this has been a true relief). Note that I use my computer to record music and for graphic design. I need a robust OS that doesn't hang, I need multitasking, I need USB devices and I need 1 Gig of flat, fast RAM. I need virtual memory, huge HDDs, drives that can be removed "in hot", fast Internet access, file sharing, networking...

Old programs written 10 years ago for a limited operating system that had serious flaws that were not corrected ever and that released its last version in 1994 don't work correctly or don't work at all... Well, that's something that's pretty understandable and normal. I don't expect my old ZX Spectrum games work in my current computer without emulation.

Microsoft's fault was to extend the life of its dull OS even more releasing Windows 95, 95 OSR2, 98, 98SE and Me. They have made you dependent of a horrid operating system. Horrid, again, for desktop computers. MSDOS is great for embedded computers.

Get over it, people. MSDOS is the past. Computers have evolved.

Retrogaming rocks. I'm one for it. I enjoy old style games way more than modern ones. But that doesn't mean that I have a grudge with Microsoft for abandoning a non-profitable, dead, old and stupidly bad OS.
I believe that Windows 95 was a great mess. I am typically the one who almost never gets new computer: currently i am working on a 7 years old P233 with Win 95 of course (I tried 98, but changed back in horror). I still have my 4.86 too ready for use.

So at this point i believe that something new was needed. But this does not mean that the older things can be just thrown into the bin. I think, or at least here in Hungary i know that there were still many DOS applications in use (not only games. Many software in commercial use). Micro$oft's work to kill these resulted the need of many new software: i heard some places upgrading was a horror for the people who worked with those outdated stuff. The stink of money again...

(The exact thing was a product checking software in a shop. Until they worked with the DOS application, the result of the check was ready in a moment, but Windows software did the same for long seconds. This is not really ideal at the casse)

It bothered me greatly that the hardware might still supported what was needed by DOS programs, but Windows simply did not allow them to use these resources. Emulation came which resulted your 2000MHz to be 20MHz. "Funny". (I experienced this as i am running QB from DOSBox on that P233 since i got annoyed that it freezes up the whole thing. The speed of my emulated computer was so slow that i could not run Alley Cat)

I have Linux, but i still not had enough time to look around deeper in it. That is a different case: emulation was always needed since the OS was different. I heard about DOS and Windows emulators for it since i hear about Linux: they must not be so slow like DOSBox as they had to run on very very old computers compared to recent ones (Possibly i will switch to Linux just to program in QB?).

Gates' work is evilish at all. I do not know what will come after WinXP, but it is sure that it will not be good for small game - writers, or anyone not just thinking about profit. I think much stronger support (including the financial side too) would be needed for SDL, and everything what is being made to make programming easyer (including FreeBasic) to balance Micro$oft. In the past, IT was called something what makes democracy as everyone can break out if she or he works, but now that time passed. Micro$oft, and maybe some others too grew too big that they gained control over the whole thing. They did not win yet, but it is terrifying. To keep alive against them, an another "country" needed to be created based on Linux, or any other OS what is free from where "free" software can "sneak" into Micro$oft's world. I said "free" since this may not be actually free, but it is not for just money.

I not say that everything is so dark and lost. Hopefully it is not the truth yet. But in this madness it can become a reality. Once a greater distance rises between the tops of "free" software, and commercial ones (mostly MS), they will die as the commercial group will surely cut their way (they can do this as they have Windows, an OS in their hands). If that happens it will be very hard to build up things again if not even impossible. Technology goes too fast, horribly fast.

This, what i said is not for games, it is mostly for the development software. That must be always at the same level as commercial ones to keep surviving. Of course from just programming languages, "free" software can not live. It needs many other things, for example games. "Free" software is not free: it costs many hours of working what costs money. But i think in an ideal case programming languages are free, and the income what keeps up the entire thing comes from the software created with them. This way everyone is able to start, and if succeed, can support "free" software (programmers who succeed i think MUST send back money for the language they are working with, for SDL, the OS - if it is not Windows - and everything they got in relation with during creating their software).

Retro is something what belongs to here too. I think retro, although it is old, not really needs to be completely "free". Everyone must support everyone who makes valuable software, this is how things are going. Everyone needs to eat, to live, nobody can live just in his or her computer. Not to mention that the computer needs to "eat" as well.

I was a little long - i always can fill the half of a topic - but i think this all was needed to show what i think about these. Please do not look my English: i know it is horrible :barf: i am Hungarian and not have any dictionary to translate my thoughts well...
fter 60 million years a civilization will search for a meteorite destroying most of the living creatures around this age...

Free in "free software" is not free as "it costs 0". It is free as in "freedom of speech".

I could write my whole post again to answer yours, but I don't feel like it.

Systems evolve. More resources are needed. Expecting that your new OS will support the tape drives used in 1980 is not being real.
I agree with that up to a point. Is not that annoying that if someone would work on a software for 10 years (before 150 years it was possible to paint a picture or to write a roman for such a long time) for example because of a real good RPG story, so then when he or she finishes it it will not run on anything because of the system evolved. I am not againist that it should go, but not so fast. The whole thing stinks from money: the democracy what IT was so proud of is no more - it was gone with DOS. Now Gates can do anything to cut the ways of newbies. The most recent attempt to kill JavaScript is i think because of this: the loss of that language will gain much headache for poor web page owners as they do not really have any other way to rise their pages' value without owning a server.

Not to mention that they are continously spoiling the environment by those loads of old computers which have to be thrown away because they can not run the newest Window$ Sad