Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V'GER Challenge
http://www.network54.com/Forum/273951

Fix program so it doesn't bomb on laptops.
trying to get people to do your work for you, huh? You coulda just asked instead of trying to disguise it.
Jumping Jahoolipers!
Create a PIF to the executable that forces fullscreen.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Create a PIF

Interesting. It looks like a PIF on my machine looks like the code below.

Do you think this could be portable to anyone else using the program?

How would you suggest using it? On first call, V'GER creates the appropriate PIF and then terminates so that subsequent calls go there instead?

Have you tried the game yet? Does it work on your computer unmodified?

Mac

Code:
ÉMicrosoft QuickBASIC          â‚¬ € C:\WINNT\system32\qbasic.exe                                     :\WINNT\system32                                                                                                                 ÿP                                                                                                                                   à MICROSOFT PIFEX ‡  qWINDOWS 386 3.0 h €  d 2                     d 2                                                                     WINDOWS 286 3.0 !       WINDOWS NT  3.1 Ã7Œ             %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT                                 %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT                               WINDOWS NT  4.0 e    Ã™Œ    C : \ W I N N T \ s y s t e m 3 2 \ q b a s i c . e x e                                                                                                                                                                                                         C:\WINNT\system32\qbasic.exe                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    C : \ W I N N T \ s y s t e m 3 2 \ q b a s i c . P I F                                                                                                         C:\WINNT\system32\qbasic.PIF                                                    M i c r o s o f t   Q u i c k B A S I C                     Microsoft QuickBASIC          m o r i c o n s . d l l                                                                                                                                         moricons.dll                                                                      : \ W I N N T \ s y s t e m 3 2                                                                                                :\WINNT\system32                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             WINDOWS VMM 4.0 ÿÿ{    Â¬
Just right click the pif, select properties, strip all paths, only leave the filename.

Supply the pif along with the program.

Or have it, like you said, hold the MODIFIED (Path stripped) PIF data in a string in the program, and dump that to a pif file, then tell the user that:
"Setup complete, please restart..."

So whats the prize, and who's the winner...

Because this IS a REAL competition/challenge/contest... right... RIGHT!?
Well, I always run from the IDE, so I'm having troubles with the PIF concept, as I don't want to change the users QBasic PIF.

But you came the closest to giving some advice I could theoretically use, maybe if I dealt in EXE's.

So you win the hat!

http://msv.dk/filer/uploads/Musikvideo2.swf

Til Lykke!

Mac
Hi, Z!re,

What, you didn't appreciate the hat?

Mac
What hat?

All i saw was random colors, accompanied by random soundwaves. I can't really give you any feedback/comment on that.
If you're running XP or 2000 on that laptop, it probably won't like going to SCREEN 12 because of that. The NTVDM doesn't seem to like changing screen modes.

-shiftLynx
img]http://www.cdsoft.co.uk/misc/shiftlynx.png[/img]
Hi, shiftLynx,

Thanks. I wonder what went wrong with XP. I guess we're lucky they even support DOS emulation at all, much less make it work properly.

Hi, Z!re,

Strange. That link on my computer works fine and gives a funny scene in Swedish slang (translation of Arabic, I guess) where a good-luck hat is passed to the lucky person.

Sorry you couldn't get it to work on your computer.

Mac