Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prices of Microsoft programming software.
Soon, I'll be getting a new computer.
I haven't been able to use VB, Visual C++, etc on my old computer.
But...As soon as I get a new computer, I'm going on a huge software spending spree.
I just want to know how much all of this is going to cost:
- Visual Basic 6.0 (A version that can make .EXE's)
- Visual C++
I've actually heard about something called MS Visual Studio...Is this a pack of all of the above?
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Yes. And you can get it for free if you know where *cough* kazaa *cough* to look. Otherwise, you'll expend hundreds.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
no, HERE's your list:
qbasic
dev-c++

c'mon, you dont need hundreds of dollars for nothin'. visual basic? what you makin' in visual basic that you couldnt make in c or in one of the free "visual" basics (minus a speed jump that you shouldnt need if you know c).
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
You wont be able to buy them like that, only second hand, if you want 6.0 stuff youll need:

Quote:I've actually heard about something called MS Visual Studio...Is this a pack of all of the above?
Yeah, except its what, a grand? or so? (its got hundreds of other stuff youll never use)

Otherwise you might as well get 7.0,,but youll need an NT based machine.(and a 3gb harddrive,it looks nice though)
b]Hard Rock[/b]
[The Stars Dev Company] [Metal Qb flopped] [The Terror]
Stop Double Posts!
Whats better? HTML or Variables?
If you are gonna get anything, you gotta get the latest things..

Learn especially C...... Visual C++ was used for "Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom" by Sierra. (I got a VC++ error when I didn't have enough free HD space trying to run the game)

You might consider evaluating the full version first before and if you think of buying.

Oh, and remember that a few good computer books will be a much better investment (especially scifi)..
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
Quote:no, HERE's your list:
qbasic
dev-c++
I have QB (duh).
Does Dev-C++ support Windows programming? That's mandatory.
And I *definitely* want VB, at least version 5.
Quote:I have QB (duh).
Does Dev-C++ support Windows programming? That's mandatory.

Yes it does... but the interface is not that great, and none of the code you d/l will work without heavy modding. Also, no MFC, if that's important. Either kazaalite yourself VS6 or shell the US$50 for the student edition of VC++6.
What products you need are really dependant on what you aim to achieve with them. MS Visual Studio is a very powerful set of tools and has a great many features, many of which you may never use, but if you plan to build some largish windows based applications, .NET applications or other web intergrated services it may be worth you buying it.

If on the other hand you just want a C/C++ compiler to learn with, muck around and build some small Windows apps then you are probably better off with one of the free alternatives. LCC is a free C compiler, it has good IDE and can build Windows and DirectX/OpenGL based applications. It doesnt really scale up to large projects very well, but if you dont need it to, its a much better alternative to spending heaps of money on software you wont use to its full potential.

I think other people have already mentioned other free C/C++ compilers, try a couple of those first and if they dont have everything you need, then consider buying one of the Microsoft products.
esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
Thanks for the advice, all of you.
The thing I want most is VB6. How much does that cost?
NOTE: I've heard you can get a cheaper student version...I guess that doesn't count for home-schoolers Sad
well again, the payment is an indication in both your ability to pay and your confidence in the product.

So..... decide. pay or not?
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.