Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having trouble understanding how to download FreeBasic.
* Went to the FB site.
* Selected download.
* Got a page that says "Please select a mirror".
--- Don't know what they mean by mirror.
--- The selections for mirror are Europe, Asia, North America.
--- I'm in Mexico. Do they consider Mexico as North America?
--- If so, which selection for North America should I choose?

* Then, there's another selection: "Select Preferred Mirror".
--- There are selections for different countries, like easynews (US).
--- Again, being in Mexico, which should I choose?

Thanks,
Moneo
Moneo:
Sourceforge sources are hosted in different "mirrors" around the world. Normally the download page orders mirrors for you (based on host load, randomly?). If the first mirror does'nt work for you or is too slow, you are free to choose whatever one you prefer. I think you can lock your browser to your prefered mirror too.

Being in Spain, I am always proposed mirrors in Belgium or in the UK...
Antoni
Antoni,

Thanks for helping.

Ok, I tried the mirror selections for Phoenix, Chapel Hill, NC, Atlanta and New York. They keep giving me a message saying "Could not read file".

When I hit "Go back" it presents a page with a heading of "Parent Directory" with a table of meaningless names like soap-xxxx.

So I exit and get into www.freebasic.net and try again. I've tried about 10 times.

What am I doing wrong?

P.S.: I'm gonna give up until tomorrow.
http://www.hot.ee/fbide/idefbc033a.exe

dl this is from FBIDE homepage it a package release of FBIDE and freebasic compiler.

also has a installer and will set up FBide for you.
Thanks ShadowWolf,

Does that mean that I will have to work in the IDE by default? I'd rather not use the IDE if possible. I assume I can run the compiler directly, no?

Is this version the one that runs under Windows? That's the one I want.

I'm sure you understand that I don't want to download it and set it all up, only to discover that it's not the package I want.

Thanks again.
Yes it's the Windows version, and yes, the compiler is separate from the IDE and usable without the IDE.

About freebasic's download page, what happens if you click on this link here?
http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc...-win32.zip
Thanks, Sterling, but that link doesn't work either.
First it goes to PerfectNav.
I hit Back, and it goes to a sourceforge page that says "Could not read the file".
Tried again, and then the "back" doesn't work out of PerfectNav.

Gee, I hope the FB compiler works better than the download capabilities.
Quote:First it goes to PerfectNav.

I would uninstall PerfectNav. I'm betting that it is the main problem with being able to download.
ature has its way of warning a person away from danger: The distinct black and white coloration on a skunk, the chilling buzz of a rattlesanke, a redneck handing you his beer and saying "Watch this!"
I did a quick google search, and it looks like PerfectNav is spyware and can interfere with normal web browsing and downloading! Sounds like that's what's happening here.

PerfectNav doesn't appear to do anything useful... Why do you have it installed?
Sterling,
I finally got a download.
Unziping the download created a bunch of files in my FreeBasic directory.
How do you compile a program?
I read the readme file, the help-me file and the doc files. Nothing says how to operate the thing. I even tried running the FBC.EXE file, but nothing happens.
It probably assumes you're going to use an IDE, which I don't want. So how do you compile without an IDE?
H-E-L-P!