Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does the SHELL command work in FB?
I downloaded FB and ran my first simple program, which ran fine.

I can't find anything like a manual. Where should I look?

I want to perform several SHELL commands. Are there any rules in FB regarding using SHELL? Like:
* Can I SHELL to any program? Or, must it be an FB program?
* Can I SHELL to a batchfile?

Thanks.
SHELL should run anything the OS thinks is executable. On DOS and Windows, this means *.exe, *.bat, *.pif (*.cmd on NT-based OSes); on Linux, anything with the executable permission bit.
Thanks, DrV, I'll give it a shot.

BTW, is there anything like a manual or text file explaining the commands, or differences maybe?
Look in FreeBASIC/Docs/KeyWords.txt...
DrV, thanks, the SHELL works fine, just like you said.

Dr_D, thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
man this is getting sad we really need to get some real documention out there.

i though there was a project that was 80% done ?
yes i found one of the almost complete Documention project i knew there was one out there Smile

http://www.wildgardenseed.com/RQDP/FreeBasic/
Dr_D,

The information in FreeBASIC/Docs/KeyWords.txt is useful, but it's really rough.

I noticed that the keywords are not in alphabetical order within each letter of the alphabet. I thought about sorting the file, but noticed that some of the comments occupy more than one line, like in CLEAR and EXTRN. If you sorted it, the second line of the comments would end up out of order at the front of the file, as would the blank line separating letters of the alphabet.

All in all, a rather brute force effort with little attention to detail.

SHADOW-WOLF:
The documentation at the site you provided looks quite good. However, since it's not on the FreeBasic site, I wonder how official it is.
The easiest thing to do is just search the document for the keyword that you're looking for. As an experienced BASIC user, you should be comfortable with most of the commands. However, there are some differences. The keywords.txt file does a good job of pointing out those differences, imo. Wink
Moneo that Andrew Shelkovenko project which is legit it a 100% freebasic project.

there are a couple other project but freebasic documention going to be WIP. victor simple doesn't have the time to wast of writting a bunch of doc when there alot of other people who can do it.

if victor did the doc as well FB wouldn't be at the stage it is.

also here Nex Doc project which is really good
http://www.hybd.net/~mms/fb/help/current/contents.html

his would be closer to being the most offical since he hangs out in the #badlogic channel weak logic i know but hey. also cover stuff the other doc doesn't not complete though atleast last time i checked