Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anything to do to make my PC faster?
What the topic says^

my win 95 computer has been running really slow now for some reason.

I've defragged and everything, is there anything else I can do other than buying ram or upgrading to a faster processor?

thanks for help!!

once again Smile
quote="na_th_an"]
Greenday, Spice Girls... Can you tell the difference?
[/quote]
yeah, new computer. there really is no hope for a 1gb hd computer running Windows 95.
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
Damn.

Well it never ran this slow before.

Thanks tho.
quote="na_th_an"]
[/quote]
what are your specs? reformat and reinstall every thing. check for spyware and viruses. check for driver problems.
cleanup! perhaps...
run adware scans
clean the registry
run programs that gets rid of unnecessary files.
Jumping Jahoolipers!
Quote:cleanup! perhaps...
run adware scans
clean the registry
run programs that gets rid of unnecessary files.

takes forever! wipe the hard drive and start over. get a memory management program.
Quote:takes forever! wipe the hard drive and start over. get a memory management program.

Depends on the HD size. If it's a smaller HD, you might want to just clean it off. But perhaps a reformat might be best. burn anything you want on your hd to a CD and give it a twirl. Unless someone has a third option.
Jumping Jahoolipers!
ok, i think it was just a weird lag in my system. it's back to normal now.
quote="na_th_an"]
[/quote]
Smile Hay, I have a WIN 98, and every so often to keep it running fast (Actully read this in PC Mag) I leave it on over night and run "Scan Disk", then when I wake up at night. I switch it to "Defrag" for the rest of the night.. all this in Safe Mode mind, alows it to do its thing faster.. Then you can clean the disk any time by running "Clean Disk"... It works, trust me.. :wink:

Edit: Logic behind this, ScanDisk checks errors, Defrag puts every thing where the computer can get to it better, (after so long, things get put in the wrong place), and Clean Disk maxamizes space on driver.. Also once the driver has been filled half way, it starts slowing down, check your space too.. :wink:
Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

[Image: 11895-r.png]
Tips: beside mentioned, try that your swap file is of fixed size. You can configure it somewhere (I think it was My PC -> Properties). Setting it as twice or three times your physical memory is a good idea.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i