Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FreeTrek
As a way to get up to speed on FB, I thought I would redo one of the old-time classic computer games StarTrek. Here's a wip screenie of FreeTrek:

http://www.geocities.com/rickclark58/fre...etrek.html

It will have some minor graphics and sound effects, but otherwise pretty close to the original.
Looks nize! Havent tried the original game, thogh.
man i loved the orignal use to play it all the time.

like the interface for this one looks neat.
Thanks guys. This will be very close to the original with a few extras inspired by the Star Trek-like game I had on my old Atari 800XL, StarFleet, and some other ST games I have played over the years.

Of course you'll be able to destroy the dreaded Klingons and Romulans, but you can also capture the ships and salvage them for supplies (i.e., extra anti-matter fuel) and goodies (like a cloaking device) and then turn them over to StarFleet intelligence (hence the beacons) for prestige and upgrades to your ship. If you capture enough ships with living crews, the chances that StarFleet intelligence can turn one of the enemy crewman into a spy will increase and the spy will offer you valuable intelligence on enemy ship movements, unless he is discovered and killed of course.

So there will be a little more to it than just destroying the bad guys.
Absolutely amazing. 8) I had totally forgotten about that game... my brother and I played it all the time on our Commodore 64. I look forward to playing it again. Big Grin
I played it too, when I was like 3, don't remeber much of it, just I crashed into stars a lot....lol :lol:
i]"But...it was so beautifully done"[/i]
Smile Heh, never played it, Sad , oh well, I probaly will this 1,. Big Grin
Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

[Image: 11895-r.png]
I have updated the screenie above.

Most of the code is in place now, except for the actual combat routines, and some little things like collision detection and enemy movement. I have to work through the weekend so I'll probably get back to it next week early. By next weekend (fingers crossed) I should have a beta that you can play with.
Looks good Rick

If Scotty will beam me up, I'm going to have to take it for a cruise .
Just a little update.

After play testing the game on the various skill levels, I decided I need to make some design changes to make the game a bit more interesting. Frankly, although the game is challenging, especially on skill level 3, it isn't really all that interesting. To help a bit, I am trying to diversify the resource management a bit.

For example, in most of these Star Trek games, damage control is a function of time and power, which never really made sense to me. Instead of using power, you will have to use personnel to implement damage control, which adds different a management resource to the game.

There are a few other changes I need to make as well to help make the game more interesting but given the nature of the game, there is only so much you can do.