Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"American" accent
I know this is probably sort of a silly question, but I've always wondered, what does an "American" accent sound like to people who don't hear it much?
Good question, I have one too.
What does english sound like if you've never heard it before?
[Image: sig.php]
Back by popular demand!
I will byte and nibble you bit by bit until nothing remains but crumbs.
Heh, stop and ponder on how we form are words compared to what they are applied to, I think you can get a since what the english language sounds to some1 else that never learned it...

As for american accent, dunno, which one? as Nek says, there diff ones for diff parts of America.. Smile
Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

[Image: 11895-r.png]
To me american, making a generalisation here, sounds like swallowing your toungue abit all the time Tongue It also sounds abit more... sharp... than british english, I think.

How do you discribe an accent anyway?

And about what english sounds like if you've never heard it, I remember when I was a small kid, around 4 or something, I would go around singing blabber, thinking it was english Smile . I guess it sounds just as weird as you would think any langauge you don't know would. It's just a stream of sounds, without any meaning.
url=http://www.copy-pasta.com]CopyPasta[/url] - FilePasta
american accent would be much similar to a german accent in my opinion.
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
What part of America? New Yorks talk differently from Iowans talk differently then Callifornians talk differently then Atlantians talk different then Chicagoans.....
And then you have the fact that so many Americans speak were born outside the U.S.A. and have the accent (or remnant of the accent) of thier native land.
And lets not get started on the New Englanders....
his sig left intentionally blank
I've been all over the country and have heard six distinct accents depending on where I was. Where I grew up has its own accent (New England), then Boston (which is in New England) has its own accent (we call it "Bostonian", hehe), New York City dwellers have their own accent, the deep South has its own accent, the midwest has its own accent, and Californians seem to have their own accent as well. There's probably more but this is what I've experienced personally...
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
Quote: ...Californians seem to have their own accent as well. There's probably more but this is what I've experienced personally...

Ah, dude, thats like seriously narly!!! <- Opps, nevermind, thats surfer talk.. he he.. :rotfl:
Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

[Image: 11895-r.png]
We Brits can usualy recognise an American Accent anywhere, especially in speech software such as freely available at

http://www.cfs-technologies.com/

I understand there is something at

MS Agent documentation is found at [http://www.microsoft.com/msagent/downloa...eloper.asp

Which includes such accents, but I have never managed to trace it among all the MS stuff. ------ Gordon
You Americans cant spell either. Its colour and favourite etc... Note the u. Since I've been programming I dropped the u's and it looks untidy on letters, official emails and such in any non-American country.