Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I started C++!
Hey everyone I started proggin' with C++ and I don't like it!

$&@*ING SEMICOLONS.

Anyways, other than the semicolons, I'm getting along with it a little bit... I am in like an "intro to C++" class, and I'm zipping through it and trying to make my programs more complicated and better than the next guys. It's boring though, and I *Still* like Qbasic better... cause I can do the same things we're doing now in C++ WAY easier in QBasic...

Yup. Anyone else had any experience with C++ and whatnot?
ovaProgramming.

One night I had a dream where I was breaking balls. The next morning, BALLSBREAKER was born.

Quote: Excellent. Now you can have things without paying for them.

BALLSBREAKER 2
~-_-Status Report-_-~
Engine: 94%
Graphics: 95%
Sound: 100%
A Severe Error has crippled BB2 for the time being... I have to figure it out, but until then you won't see much of it Sad.
-----------------------------
Yea, I am also learning C++ and it is quite boring at the start but it does get better. I just take breaks from it from time to time and once all the work os done you can get into OpenGL and Windows programming.
I've been coding in C for just under 5 years years and C++ for about 3 years now... I love them both. Smile You'll soon learn to do more stuff and code more elegantly than you could in QBasic; that's when you'll change. Wink You can write more robust and structured programs - OOP is an entirely different level of thinking.

I started learning Java about 2 weeks ago now and I love it even more than C++ (it's extremely easy to pick up from C++ as well). I'm working on an online chat system at the moment; the server is finished (need to add a few more commands) and I'm working on the client now. I'll write a post about it when I've finished completely. Wink

Good luck with C/C++, I hope you learn to love it as much as it deserves. Smile

-shiftLynx
img]http://www.cdsoft.co.uk/misc/shiftlynx.png[/img]
Quote:I started C++!
I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon. Tongue
his sig left intentionally blank
it may be my wacked perceptioin but i have seen alot more people do small 3D engines in C++ (w/ Open GL) than i have seen qbasic ones. i dunno if that is just lack of me searching around finding all the engines or if they just arnt put out that much. Either way my first immpression of C++ is a bit more practical. i still like basic tho, its more old school, and with freebasic out im sure there will be alot more
Doing 3d in OpenGL is 8x easier than doing it in QB.
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
yeah, it's not like QBasic "practical applications" can compare to C++ "practical applications".... C++ is undoubtably the more powerful language... but heck, when am I ever going to use it for practical applications anyways? Tongue

So the teacher made us write a program that would have the user input the price of an item and how much money was given to pay for that item, and then we had to calculate the change received based on dollars, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. NO IF-THEN STATEMENTS ALLOWED, because we "haven't learned about them yet." So it's probably the most retarted way to code this ever, but he made us change the variable types in order to acheive our goal.... for instance:

Say the change was $3.94. In order to get dollars, he wanted us to
Code:
Float change;
int dollars;
int quarters;
int dimes;
int nickels;
int pennies;

(int)dollars = (int)change;

Thereby cutting off the decimal provided by FLOAT, since INTegers don't have decimals... Sad. Then it's basically the same thing over and over... you subtract whatever you got for dollars from change, to just get the decimal, then multiply by 100.1 (the .1 is to assure that no pennies would be rounded off... for instance, in testing I found that sometimes it might give 38.9999991 instead of 39). Divide that number by 25, change it to an INT to get rid of the decimal, that's how many quarters.... ugh, it was stupid. And everyone that I've talked to who actually knows a lot of C++ and stuff is like "OMG, why the hell is he making you do that, that's going to kill you, that's going to scar you for life, that's the worst application of variable typing ever..." So yeah.

LoL the worst part about that class was the first three days, when we weren't even on the computers... we were in a classroom, with a book. Do page 24 problems 1-16. WHAT?? Problems in a C++ book? And they're all like
Code:
A Microcomputer system consists of hardware and _____________.

A).  Software
        B).  CPU (Central Processing Unit)
        C).  System board
        D).  Windows

Because, apparently, we should "Know what the computer is doing and how it does it before we start putting stuff into it." I was just like GRR! give me a computer! Let me ruin the school's network! I mean.... uh... heheh..... But anyways, it's getting a little better. He keeps wanting us to write algorithms for our projects, but when they're simple and stupid, I have a hard time doing that... most of the time I can't even think about what to do, so I just start coding and eventually figure it out, and then I tweak it till it works and THEN write the stupid algorithm... show it to him, twiddle my thumbs for alittle while, and say "okay, here you go, I coded it."

*sigh*. Why can't they have a QBasic class, that would rock! It would be super boring at first, but I could wow everyone else in the class with my mediocre Qbasic skills.
ovaProgramming.

One night I had a dream where I was breaking balls. The next morning, BALLSBREAKER was born.

Quote: Excellent. Now you can have things without paying for them.

BALLSBREAKER 2
~-_-Status Report-_-~
Engine: 94%
Graphics: 95%
Sound: 100%
A Severe Error has crippled BB2 for the time being... I have to figure it out, but until then you won't see much of it Sad.
-----------------------------
lol. That whole you need to know what the computer does first thing is lame. When i first started learning Qbasic i knew very little about the internal stuff and all the technical stuff but as i am learning my knowledge of that stuff has jumped from
here.......................................to...........here so i think you should just start programing then learn about the tech stuff it will find you on its own.
fear allmighty c++, it comes at night when you least expect it!
quote="NecrosIhsan"]
[Image: yagl1.png]
[/quote]
Quote:Hey everyone I started proggin' with C++ and I don't like it!

$&@*ING SEMICOLONS.

Anyways, other than the semicolons, I'm getting along with it a little bit... I am in like an "intro to C++" class, and I'm zipping through it and trying to make my programs more complicated and better than the next guys. It's boring though, and I *Still* like Qbasic better... cause I can do the same things we're doing now in C++ WAY easier in QBasic...

Yup. Anyone else had any experience with C++ and whatnot?

obviously its going to be a lot easier to do anything in QB than in C++.. thats not the point of C++... the point is so that you have more options of how to do things... QB makes it simple, but yet yuou dont have as many options. for example, look at the whitespace/semicolon option in the compiler/ide if c++ vs qb... if you forget a semicolon in c++, your prog wont work. but because of trhem, you can have an entire 30kb prog on one entire line. can qb do that? nope... because qb uses the cr/lf/null to end a statement vs the ; see?
earn.