Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
War of the instruments.
Hey. i just want to start a little topic that will prob. evolve into a war of the posts, but i just want to ask a question me and my friends have been pondering: what is the key part of a band?: the vocals, the guitar, the bass, or the drums? well, post if you can or want, cuz i want to start a war between some drummers and some guitarists. peace out, Jason.
an, my site needs a hit almost as bad as i do Wink
There is no key element, usually. In a good group effort every instrument counts.
Make love, not war. Tongue

The most important part of a band is obviously the drummer... although I might be a bit biased... Smile
Hey, i'll give a point to josiah tobin for saying that a band should be one and not separtated into categorys of most needed to not needed as much, thats a very good point to make. i agree to it totaly, but try to focus on the fact that i'm trying to settle a fight on which is the biggest glory hog of a band, or you could say what is the biggest focus of a band, yea, lets stick with that: when you hear a band, what do you focus on the most? well, thats a good change to it. peace out, Jason.
an, my site needs a hit almost as bad as i do Wink
hmm. personally, i listen for guitar. but thats cause i'm a guitar player. i'm sure drummers listen for drums, and bassist listen for bass.

on the other note, there is not key band member. there is a joke that i've heard: "what do you call someone surrounded by musicians?" you could say any instrument there.
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
Hmm, I can see your point, Electric.
I guess when I listen to a song I listen for... Well, actually, that's a tough one. In heavier music I tend to listen to the drums and guitar; I listen for the volume of the kick drum (in my opinion it should be fairly loud and right up in the front but not too bassy, just sharp) and the tone of the guitar, mainly. (I like tons of crunch in heavier music usually, or more smoothed over but chunky)

For 'lighter' music I actually listen for the bass; it tends to be more prominent in lighter tunes, I find. At least, it doesn't blend in as much and sort of adds a groove. And of course, in all non-instrumental music I listen for the vocals, I mean, it's hard not to most of the time... :wink:

It depends on the genre for me, mostly. However, I think the thing I listen for the most is the volume difference between the drums and guitar. The drums shouldn't drown out the guitar (actually that's fairly easy to do, gotta be careful in the mixing :p ), but if the drums are too quiet the music sounds flat. There should be a kinda perfect balance (rather, as perfect as possible) between all the instruments so none REALLY stand out (unless intended) and they all compliment eachother.

But yeah, I guess I listen mostly to the guitar and drums... I'd guess that's a fairly common answer, too, as they sort of... drive the music a fair bit. Of course, I often find myself listening for the bass... Too often it's just too far back in the mix.
i watch and listen to all at a show. usually whoevers the best gets more of my attention, instrument doesnt matter. if theyre all about equal then i stop caring

...you do realize this is a programming forum right o.O

not that i dont love music and all ;p