Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need some help, hardware/software problems
1) Whenever I turn my computer off (Using: Start->Shutdown in windows) it reboots. I have to start it in pure dos and turn it off manually.

2) I just bought 256MB more RAM, when I put it in, everything is fine, BIOS shows 384MB just like it should, and so does POST.
However, Windows dies when it starts (I'll do a logged boot soon)

I'll come back with more info, now I'm going to shut the comp off (see 1, fun...) put the new RAM back in, and see if it works, doing a logged boot.

Wish me luck... Tongue
1) Welcome to Windows. :-?

2) Sounds like the memory modules are incompatible with each other. POST will tell you if they're okay and registered but Windows will freak out if they don't work well together. It could be something else but this has been my experience with said problem.
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
In this day and age of fairly cheap memeory it would be best to not mix different modules. Leave the 256 in and take out the other...

...unless the other is permenently fixed to the motherboard...

...and get another 256 to match the new one.
ature has its way of warning a person away from danger: The distinct black and white coloration on a skunk, the chilling buzz of a rattlesanke, a redneck handing you his beer and saying "Watch this!"
Going to try and take the old 128 one out later.

Also, going to upgrade to Win2k.. too many problems with 98 and new hardware.. Sad
Installed win2k, problem still there, removed the 128 stick, problem gone.

Theres still the shutdown-becomes-reboot problem..

In both 2k and 0.098k
Hmm, what does restart do (i mean when you use it, not in general)?
url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][Image: style4,TheDarkJay.png][/url]
If I choose restart, it restarts.
If I choose shutdown it restarts.
Suspend -> Suspend
Just a thought, but motherboards, etc. made after certain versions of Windows have special functions built in to handle a command to aumatically "turn off" when a windows shutdown command is encountered (Win 95 just gave a "Now safe turn turn off" kind of screen until the power button was pressed). If you are installing newer versions of Windows, you might want to look up the mnf website and download and install the latest motherboard bios.
ature has its way of warning a person away from danger: The distinct black and white coloration on a skunk, the chilling buzz of a rattlesanke, a redneck handing you his beer and saying "Watch this!"
yeah, and probably computers with power switches that just press in every time, as opposed to ones that stay in when you push once and come out when you push again, are more likely to have features like that.
Check the "control panel"/"power options" and see if you have the advanced option for controlling your power off button. It could be that a setting used by windows on a power down has been locked into a restart...