Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FB 0.14 test version
I just recompiled TC-Ray with test version 0.14..

One of the images was drawn in 78 seconds, compiled with 0.13 , and takes only 60 seconds with 0.14, so inlining trig functions works ...
Antoni
I ran it using the -profile option and the result showed that for say test 9 the probe.??? routines pass 20-30% of their times just calling fb_setdescriptor, because the local arrays are not static, add a "static" after each probe proc and there will be a speed up too - they aren't recursive so static won't break them.
Thanks, victor, I'll try it..

BTW: Some images show notches in their textures, when compied with 0.14, this may mean the C library was correcting some weird result in the coprocessor outputs....I will try to find it. That was the reasan why Jark used his own trig functions in the original program.
Antoni
Tried profiler on TC-RAy...it's funny.

How i did it:
-get gprof.exe from DevC, put it in your FB path <<<NOT NEEDED!! (EDITED)
-modify your program so it does'nt wait for user input (or waiting time will appear in the statistics)
-compile you program with -g -profile
-run your program (It will run awfully slow!!!)
-When it ends a profile.txt will appear magically. There are your stats..

Results:
The two low lavel procedures using more process time are

-Dumbledore's RND (12%) !!! V!ctor's fault, for not implementing negative args...Big Grin
-ScreenUnlock(10%) Can something be done with it?
-The 4th and 3rd grade equation solvers: Need to try JDebord's lib
Antoni
In FreeBasic V014, this works :

Code:
Function myFunc (myArg As long) As Long
      dim OKE As Long
      OKE = 1
      asm
            mov eax, OKE
            mov [Function], eax
      end asm  
End Function

The returned value from a function can now be set from inline assembler.

Thanks
wrong thread?
Antoni
Well the thread says "v014b test version"...

...expect to be highjacked by anyone who d/l and tests the "pre-release".
ature has its way of warning a person away from danger: The distinct black and white coloration on a skunk, the chilling buzz of a rattlesanke, a redneck handing you his beer and saying "Watch this!"
Well , this guy has posted a question about FB assembler in the Site Issues section, so everything is possible...

V1ctor: I'm I wrong or the profiler is built in into FBC? No DevC profiler is needed, isn't?
Antoni
Yeah, no external profiler is needed, it was implemented by Angelo in the runtime library itself.
That's great!!!
Antoni