Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Passover drawing to a close...
Annnnd...NOW! It's over. Smile
An 8-day holiday, remembering the liberatation of the Israelites from enslavement of Egypt, Passover (so named because God passed over the houses of the Egyptians and killed their first borns), or Pesach, ended tonight at 9:00 PM. My favorite holiday! Some highlights:
-No bread can be eated at all, or any type of leaven. That is to remember how, on the leaving of Egypt, there was no time to let the dough sit to rise and ferment properly. Hence, we have Matzah, sort of big flatbread crackers.
-The two Seders (or if you live in Israel, only one Seder). These are two meals on the first two nights of the holiday where lots of people are invited, the story of the exiting of Egypt is told ritually, songs are sung, lots of Torah (bible) is discussed, and lots and lots of food is eaten. And lots of wine/grape juice is drunk (according to ritual/tradition). The whole thing lasts several hours, usually until 1:00 or 2:00 AM. Then everyone staggers to bed and wakes up to a fantastic breakfast. Wink

It's a terrific holiday. Now I have to wait a whole year for next time...
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Zack,

Thanks for reminding us about Passover. Since Easter for most Christians does not adhere to the date of Passover, we tend to forget that these two holidays are very closely related.

Years ago, some Jewish friends invited me to their Seder. It was a wonderful experience, especially the singing and the different foods.
Let me guess: Matzoh balls and Charoset? Wink (Two foods unique to Passover).
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Yes, there was matzoh ball soup and lots of other goodies, like Concord wine, which gets everyone in tune for the singing. I still remember what a great time we had.