Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quest for a King 1.5, the first full release in over a year!
Download it Here!
Download qfak15.zip from QuickHost.tk

After over a year of failed ports, attempted hacks, and general ungoodness, the first complete Windows port of the Quest for a King demo is finally out! This version is a complete port, and it should run fast on just about any computer out there.

Take a look, and let me know what you think!
Yihaa! First fb-rpg completed! Congrats!

Bug-report: In the castle, the game froze when I was fighting the 3 chicks? (hope I didn't offend anyone now)

I'll try it more and I'll report back more impressions and bug-reports if there's any.
[Image: jocke.gif]
"Some men get the world, other men get ex hookers and a trip to Arizona."
Content-wise it's not completed, but code-wise it is (except for the fact that now I have to hunt down a crash bug -- thanks a LOT!! )
Not to complain or anything, but the loading made my comp lag as hell..

I didnt bother trying it more.. going to do so in a moment.. I'll let you know..
Seems I have found the same bug as Jocke (see rpg-dev.net) - but otherwise, kudos. Smile I'm getting about 280 FPS.
Main menu -> CONTROLLS, go there, then back, doesent clear..

INTRO: top row of pixels arent cleared, well, actually, they're never cleared..

And the fabled castle crash.. ya..
Looks like the bug was caused by a problem in the attack routine, so I just used another attack routine.

For speed, you go with SDL, you'll get lag elsewhere. Unfortunately, that seems to be how it works. I return as much as I can to the OS using sleep, but...

EDIT:

I lowered the Frame Period which will probably help CPU utilizationquite a bit, and doubled the movement speed. I've also fixed the problem with the control menu item.
Cool, the first RPG done with FB, if i'm not wrong.

So that SJ0 at sf.net is you? :P

EDIT: man, that's not a change log, that's a saga ;)
Very cool. Nice work.
Hmm... Okay. First, the larger problems I noticed...

As previously mentioned, when you go to 'controls' in the main menu, then back, it doesn't clear the controls.
In the town there seems to be some grass tiles that you can't walk on, and the collision detection on the tree to the northwest of where you start is... well, it's like a huge square that's too big for the tree.

The top line of pixels and the left column seem to randomly clear/not clear, and the whole screen seems to move one pixel down and right when a battle occurs-- then back when it ends. The music doesn't loop, which gets rather annoying... It's jarring when it suddenly ends, and then after playing for awhile you forget about it, only to be startled when it suddenly comes back in in another scene.

Collision detection in general is a bit annoying-- for example, say you're walking up along a vertical wall, (and it's on your right) and you hold right and up at the same time, you'll stop. Single-tile doors are difficult to get into due to the collision detection, and once I went in a door only to be transported to the other end of the room I was supposed to be in, confusing me greatly for a moment. There was also a man who I could not talk to in this room, apparently randomly placed there.

Health goes into the negative when someone dies. They still act as if they are alive. I mean... I'm fairly sure that'd be an easy one to fix. When I got to the boss of the castle, Jeremy stayed behind the door but was still in battle-- When I tried to attack with him the game crashed. I could still choose options, but nothing did anything anymore.

Now the smaller issues, nitpicks mainly.
It is sometimes difficult to tell whether chests are open or not... As they only move one or two pixels when open. Sometimes when going into battle you will be sideways when it occurs; the sword sprite looks rather odd this way and you sort of slide sideways to attack. These are mostly tiny issues, but you may want to think about more frames for your walking animations. They don't look too much like walking as it is...

Hope I didn't sound too harsh, but I did find quite a few issues... I hope you fix some of these in final version, as I heard quite a bit of praise for the eventual plot of the game awhile back. However, if these problems remain I don't know if I'd have the patience to play through it as a finished game. Tongue